ISLAMABAD - Jamaatud Dawa chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed on Monday accused the United States and India of trying to hamper efforts to help victims of Pakistan's earthquake.
Saeed, who has a $10 million US government bounty on his head, said joint US-Indian efforts to block funds for his organisation were aimed at stopping its relief work in Balochistan, hit by a powerful quake last month.
"Their aim is to hamper the relief work of our charity Falah-e-Insaniyat Foundation in the quake-stricken Balochistan, that's why they are trying to stop our funding," Saeed told newsmen.
The 7.7-magnitude quake shook Balochistan on September 24, killing more than 370 people and leaving more than 100,000 homeless.
Saeed, who was blamed for the 2008 Mumbai attacks, said India was an eternal enemy of Pakistan and that "we will not back out from our stance on Kashmir at any cost”.
"Our stance on Kashmir is unequivocal. This troubles India; therefore, it is all out in hatching conspiracies. If India can get enraged over the speech of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, then it would not be any strange thing that it flies into rage on our statements," he added.
Saeed, to a question, said the JuD supported dialogue with the Taliban. But, he added, certain forces wanted to sabotage the talks between the government and the Taliban. This was the responsibility of the government to take a final decision on holding talks with the Taliban, he stressed.
He went on to say that a ban was imposed on the JuD in the past, but it continued its work despite the restrictions. “India and the US cannot deter us from realizing our commitment.”
The earthquake which hit Balochistan was the worst ever quake in the country’s history, he said, adding the people of Awaran and other quake devastated areas could be rehabilitated if all the political and religious parties as well the government focussed their attention on them.
Jamaatud Dawa on Monday dispatched truckloads of relief goods to the quake-affected people in Awaran, Khuzdar and other localities of Balochistan.