LAHORE  -   Chief Justice Saqib Nisar on Sunday rejected an Auqaf Department’s report on the theft of Nalain Pak or holy sleepers of the Last Prophet (PBUH), and ordered to form a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) consisting of officials from the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and police to probe the sensitive issue.

He ordered that the proposed JIT consisting of officials from ISI, IB and police of DIG rank submit a comprehensive report on the theft of Nalain Pak from the gallery of Badshahi Mosque, Lahore, The priceless relics, as per Ulema, were brought from Turkey in Mughal era and kept in the Badshahi Mosque..

Auqaf Department Secretary Zulfiqar Ghuman, Additional Advocate General Imtiaz Kaifi and other government officials appeared before the court, and presented the report.

However, the chief justice rejected the report, and said that he was not satisfied with it.

He remarked that the report aimed at saving the persons responsible for the negligence.

“What is more precious than Nalain Pak that could not be protected by you?” he asked the official appeared in the case before him.

He further added, “It is shameful for us that we could not safely keep the sacred priceless relics (attributed to the Last and Final Messenger (PBUH).”

Meanwhile, the counsel for Auqaf Department said that the incident took place in 2002.

“So far, 10 inquiries have been conducted but nothing has appeared in the case,” he added.

The additional advocate general said that the theft of Nalain Pak was reported by devotees.

On which the CJ ordered formation of a JIT to submit a comprehensive report on the issue.

Earlier, the chief justice had sought a report from the Inspector general of police about investigation into the alleged theft of Nalain Pak.

He had passed the order on an application moved by Pir SA Jafri questioning efficiency of the government authorities to fix responsibility of the incident.

The applicant had told the chief justice that he had filed a number of applications to the authorities concerned since the incident took place in 2002’.

However, he added, no serious action had so far been taken except registration of an FIR.

The chief justice had expressed concern over the non-recovery of the Nalain Pak even after the lapse of a 16-year period.

Likewise, an additional district and sessions judge had directed investigation officers (IOs) and SHO of the Tbbi City police station to conclude the investigation into the theft.

On the order, the police had submitting a report claiming a lot of progress had been made and different committees were formed under senior officials.

The police said the investigation had been carried out from all angles, but they remained clueless in the case.

The judge had passed this order on a petition seeking a case against 94 respondents, including around 40 police officials, for their failure to recover the holy relics.

The judge mentioned in his order that the police had acknowledged its failure despite its best efforts.

A report reveals that more than 40 officials of the Badshahi Mosque and others were interrogated by the CIA during the course of the investigation.

It also states that as per various media reports, Nalain Pak was not brought back to Pakistan after being shown at an exhibition in Brunei.

However, it adds, authorities found that the item had been placed at the Badshahi Mosque under Rangers security.

When interrogated, Rangers Deputy Superintendent Muhammad Sarwar, Lance Naik Noshad Khan and others said on March 5, 2014 that Nalain Pak were taken to Brunei under the supervision of Captain Jawad Cheema in 2001.

Meanwhile, Pir SA Jafri and others were also interrogated and they alleged it was sold to the Brunei state.

Now, the chief justice has again ordered the formation of a Joint Investigation Team to thoroughly probe the sensitive issue.

 

SHAHZAD AHMAD