RAWALPINDI - Scores of violent students, most of them from private colleges, torched the office of Chairman Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education (BISE) Rawalpindi, including One-window section, in protest against the delay in announcement of revised results of Intermediate Part-1 here at 6th Road on Thursday. However, RBISE Chairman Dr Muhammad Ashraf and his staff remained unhurt. The secretary board filed an application with police to take legal action against the protestors who damaged government property and other stuff. A scuffle also occurred between police and the students. Police resorted to baton-charge and fired tear gas shells on the protestors, while the students pelted police with stones. Scores of the police officials were injured. Police arrested a total number of 50 students. It is pertinent to mention here that students violent protests across the province against the messed-up intermediate results compelled the Punjab government to cancel the results and come out with the assurance that the results would be revised and declared again within 45 days. According to details, a large number of students staged demonstration in front of the Intermediate branch of Rawalpindi BISE at 10:00 a.m. and blocked the road for traffic. They also chanted slogans against the board administration. The protestors also tried to break down the boards main office gate but they were forced to stay outside the building. On this, the students tried to jump over the wall of the building to get inside. However, some board officials came out and negotiated with the students after which the protestors dispersed. Meanwhile, a heavy contingent of police arrived there and controlled the situation. But after passing two hours, the protestors once again gathered outside the board office and started throwing stones on the board building. They jumped inside and opened the main gate. They set the chairman board office on fire reducing all the furniture to ashes. Some protestors went upstairs and blazed two rooms there. The road turned into battlefield when police tried to stop the students from damaging the building. The students pelted police with stones whereas in retaliation the police charged baton over protestors and fired tear gas to disperse them. The scuffle between the police and the students led to damage some public and private transport as well. Panic gripped the board officials and servants, and the surrounding areas as the people run here and there to be safe from the fire, stones and tear shells. However, no injury or causality was reported. Rawalpindi BISE Chairman, when contacted by TheNation, said that at 10:30am some 50 students of private colleges staged a protest demonstration in front of the board office and insisted on declaring the revised results. He said that he, along with other officials, held talks with the students, telling them that the results would be announced on December 24, 2011. After that the students went away, said Dr Ashraf. He said that after two hours, more students came again and started throwing stones on the board building. He said that the students broke into the building and torched his office and two other rooms completely. On a query, Dr Ashraf replied that police was called after the arrival of 50 students but unfortunately the police went back soon after success of the negotiation. The students took advantage of the police absence and burnt the offices, he added. SP Rawal Town, Malik Matloob Ahmed Awan, while talking to this scribe, informed that police registered two cases against the protestors; one on the complaint of the secretary board while the other on the behalf of the state (police). He said that during the riots, scores of police cops were injured. However, he could not tell the exact number of the cops sustaining injuries. The SP said that police had arrested 50 protestors while further investigation was underway. Upon receiving calls, Rescue 1122 and Fire fighters also rushed to the board office to extinguish fire but the charged protesters did not allow the rescuers to spray water on fire.