LAHORE - Following twin blasts outside churches in Youhanabad on Sunday, the Punjab government declared emergency at major public sector hospitals in Lahore.

As many as 15 people including a cop lost their lives before reaching the nearby Lahore General Hospital while 78 injured were hospitalised. About 12 injured were in critical condition while two were fighting for life on ventilators.

Later, two persons getting burn injuries were shifted to Mayo Hospital and another three to Jinnah Hospital. Adviser to Punjab Chief Minister on Health Kh Salman Rafiq, Minister Education Rana Mashhood Ahmed Khan, Minister Food Bilal Yasin, Commissioner Abdullah Sumbal, District Coordination Officer Muhammad Usman and Director General Health Dr Zahid Pervaiz reached the LGH to inquire after the injured and supervised provision of treatment facilities.

There was chaos at emergency of LGH after shifting of injured in such a huge number. Family members of injured were seen running from one bed to the other to identify their near and dear ones. Administration made several announcements for blood donation that caused huge number of donors to gather at emergency. Hue and cry from injured and their attendants caused chaos that also created difficulties for doctors and paramedics to perform their duties.

Infuriated family members of victims of twin blasts rushed Federal Minister Kamran Michael as he reached the LGH to inquire after the injured. They misbehaved with the Federal Minister and even tried to thrash him. The hospital administration, however, rescued the federal minister and managed to take him outside through back gate.

The injured and their family members blasted the government for what they said poor security arrangements at churches.

“The loss could have been much more if personal security guards were not deputed outside the church. Government should increase security and give proper counter terrorism training to policemen,” an injured said.

Afzal, who was passing near the gate of church along with his wife Humaira, said that they tried to run after listening gunshots that followed by huge blast.

Nadeem said that he received bullet injury when he tried to run for his life after seeing two terrorists firing on policemen outside the church.

Basharat said that he saw two men fighting near the church gate that followed by an explosion.

“I was coming out of the church when I saw two men firing with pistols. I received two bullets while trying to escape the scene. I managed to reach near my house in the close vicinity of the church from where I hired a rickshaw and come to the LGH,” said another injured Ashraf Fauji.

Rehana Kausar said that she fell unconscious after hearing huge explosion. Mansoor Gill, 90, said that he could not run due to weakness.

Bilawal said that he received injuries when he tried to scale wall of the church after explosion. The LGH medical superintendent said that two persons with burn injuries were shifted to Mayo Hospital and three to Jinnah Hospital. He said that 64 injured were under treatment at present while 12 were discharged after giving first aid.