GAZA CITY (AFP) - Violence across the Gaza-Israel border subsided on Saturday after three days of bloody exchanges, as pressure rose on Israel to unblock humanitarian supplies for the aid-dependent territory. One Palestinian fighter was killed and another seriously wounded in an explosion as they prepared to launch a rocket into Israel from the northern Gaza Strip, witnesses and medics said. Israel said the blast was probably an own goal as it had carried out no attacks in the area. It added the Gaza fighters had not succeeded in firing off any rockets. "We haven't carried out a strike in northern Gaza in recent hours," an army spokesman said. "The explosion might be due to mishandling of weapons." A small armed group unconnected to the Hamas movement that rules Gaza said the dead man was one its fighters. The Popular Resistance Committees, a loose grouping of hardline defectors from other factions, insisted that an unmanned Israeli aircraft had carried out the attack. "Abdullah Hassan Manayia, 35, one of the commanders of a surveillance unit and a member of our faction, was martyred during a raid by an Israeli drone east of Jabaliya," the group said in a statement. Earlier one rocket was fired at Israel from Gaza but the army was unable to say on which side of the border it hit as it was far from inhabited areas. It was the first time in four days that no rockets or mortar rounds had been fired into populated areas of Israel. A series of salvoes over the previous three days had left one Israeli woman wounded and prompted a series of tit-for-tat attacks that threatened to unravel a nearly five-month-old truce between Israel and Hamas. Israel has blocked passage of humanitarian supplies on most days since violence first flared on the border on November 5. On Saturday, the crossings remained closed as they have been every week on the Jewish day of rest for several years. An aide to Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak told AFP that no decision would taken before Sunday on reopening them in the coming days. The Israeli cabinet holds its weekly meeting on Sunday mornings but the Gaza closure was not on the formal agenda and the decision is normally taken by the defence minister in consultation with field commanders. A range of international organisations and rights movements have urged Israel to ease the punishing blockade on Gaza which it first imposed when Hamas seized control of the territory in June last year and then tightened earlier this month. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon "is deeply concerned at the deterioration of the humanitarian and security situation in Gaza and southern Israel. He calls on all parties to uphold international humanitarian and human rights law," a UN statement said. Meanwhile, Outgoing Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert will meet Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas on Monday to discuss tensions in the Gaza Strip and the sluggish peace talks, officials said on Saturday. Senior Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat told AFP that the two leaders will meet on Monday at Olmert's Jerusalem residence. A senior Israeli official confirmed the meeting's timing and location. The meeting, the first in over two months, will focus on the five-month-old ceasefire between Israel and the Hamas movement that seized power in the Gaza Strip in June 2007, ousting forces loyal to Abbas, the two officials said. The fragile Egyptian-brokered truce is under severe strain following 12 days of tit-for-tat skirmishes between the Israeli army and Gaza fighters. Abbas was expected to ask Olmert to alleviate Israel's punishing blockade on Gaza, which it completely sealed off last week in response to renewed rocket fire against southern Israel, Erekat said. The Palestinian leader will also discuss Israel's ongoing settlement activity in the occupied West Bank, "notably in the wake of reports that (Defence Minister Ehud) Barak has authorised new construction," Erekat added. The two leaders, who last met on September 16, will also continue the Middle East peace talks, which were practically suspended after Olmert stepped down in September over corruption allegations. The US-backed talks, launched nearly a year ago at an international summit in Annapolis, Maryland, has made little visible progress as both leaders have conceded that they would not meet their declared goal of inking a deal before President George W. Bush leaves office on January 20.