RAWALPINDI - Two men received slight burn injuries in a minor gas explosion in a newly-constructed room adjacent to the cafeteria of University of Engineering Taxila (UET) here on Thursday.

The injured men were later identified as Muhammad Usman and Muhammad Bashir from Faisalabad.

The local police and rescuers shifted the maimed persons to Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) for medical treatment, where their condition was stated to be out of danger.

According to ASI Zafar Iqbal of Police Station (PS) Taxila, who is probing the case, the incident took place near 7:30pm.

He said that a gas pipeline, passing near the outer wall of a small room adjacent to New Paradise Cafeteria of UET, got leaked owing to which the room filled with gas. Two canteen employees Usman and Bashir were sleeping there when a minor gas explosion occurred in which both the employees received slight burn injuries on their faces and arms.

Soon after the incident, police and rescuers shifted the injured persons to PIMS for cure, he said adding that both were stable in the hospital.