JAMMU (AFP/Reuters) Violence spread to new areas of Kashmir on Wednesday, with five more protesters shot dead by police. Police opened fire on an angry crowd in the previously quiet town of Mendhar, a Muslim settlement in a Hindu-dominated area to the south of Kashmir, about 210 kilometres from the town of Jammu. Four youths have been killed in the firing and several government buildings... were attacked and burnt down by the angry protesters, top local government official Pawan Kotwal told reporters. Another death was reported by local police in the volatile northern town of Sopore, where police shot a 24-year-old man. Another 40 people were injured in the protests in Poonch. For three months, young Kashmiris have thrown stones at security forces and rallied against Indian rule in the Muslim-majority region, resulting in clashes that have left 92 people dead according to an AFP tally. Since the weekend, arson and mob attacks have risen, apparently fuelled by reports about the desecration of the Holy Quran by a small group of Christians in Washington on Saturday. Police in Jammu said the crowd had tried to attack a missionary school in Mendhar. Protestors set fire to two government buildings overnight in trouble-hit towns of the held valley amid isolated skirmishes with security forces. The situation during the last night remained peaceful barring a couple of incidents of arson in Sopore and Handwara, a police statement said, referring to two northern towns. In Handwara, hundreds of protesters chanting, Down With India and Allah Is Great torched a municipal committee office, while in Sopore protesters attacked and tried to set fire to a revenue office, causing some damage. Thousands of Indian police and paramilitaries patrolled streets of Kashmir Wednesday to enforce the curfew, which was first imposed on Sunday during serious clashes and arson attacks in the main town of Srinagar. You cant starve the entire population. They are trying to give us collective punishment, Ajaz Rasool, a retired government official, told AFP by telephone from his home in downtown Srinagar.