ISLAMABAD - All the five militants who attacked Bacha Khan Airport, Peshawar and subsequently killed by the security forces on Sunday were foreigners and are believed to members of blacklisted Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), an affiliate of defunct TTP that accepted responsibility for the attack.

According to well-placed security sources, the Uzbek militants have been mounting attacks on Pakistani security forces in past after death of their leader in drone attack few years ago.

Meanwhile, an ISPR statement said that the search and clearance operation in and around the base culminated in the early hours of Sunday morning. It said that as many as five terrorists were killed in an exchange of firing with Army officials posted at the entrance of the base.  These terrorists are believed to be wearing suicide vests and their bodies will be removed after being cleared by the Bomb Disposal Squad.

It further said that those militants were using two vehicles laden with explosives, grenades, rockets and automatic weapons to create a window to infiltrate the base through a wall near the airport, before exploding.

This explosion caused a number of civilian injuries.

The other vehicle was severely damaged in a firefight with security officials. At least three suicide vests were also recovered from near one of the cars.

According to Pakistan Air Force (PAF) spokesman, Peshawar Air Base, which was attacked by terrorists on Saturday night, is in total control and normal operations have resumed.

He said that the Pakistan Air Force base inside the Bacha Khan International Airport came under a daring attack by militants, with a simultaneous rocket barrage, resulting in the killing of seven people, including five militants, and injuries to 40 others.

Giving the details of attack and the security operation at the base, the spokesman said that terrorists attacked PAF Base Peshawar at 2035 hrs, on December 15, 2012 from Abdra village side.

Terrorists used rockets and suicide bombers to penetrate the base parameters at three different places and caused minor damage to outer perimeter boundary wall.

Security forces consisting of Pakistan Air Force and Army personnel who were on full alert, cordoned of the base and effectively repulsed the attack.

The spokesman said that terrorists used two vehicles laden with explosives, hand grenades, RPGs and automatic weapons. One vehicle was destroyed and the second was badly damaged.

Three suicide jackets were found near one of the vehicles. During the attack five terrorists were killed.

He said there was no damage to PAF equipment and personnel.

Coordinated joint operations by all security agencies thwarted the attack successfully.

The spokesman said the combing operation, which started at 2300 hrs, continued till base was declared clear by 0200 hrs.

Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt, Chief of the Air Staff appreciated security forces for their high morale and action.