KARACHI - At least five alleged militants of the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan were killed in two separate encounters with Rangers here on Sunday.

The first encounter took place near Super Highway within the limits of Gulshan-e-Maymar Police Station. Ranger’s officials said that the encounter took place when the militants ambushed their vehicle near Afghan Basti on Super Highway. However, no Rangers troop was hurt in the attack. The Rangers men retaliated and after an exchange of fire, two militants were killed. The bodies were moved to hospital for medico-legal formalities.

A few hours later, another alleged encounter took place between Rangers and militants in Mohammad Khan Colony in Baldia Town. Ranger’s spokesperson claimed that the encounter took place as they started cordoning off the area. “The militants fired at Rangers troops and fled to a nearby location,” the spokesperson claimed.

The Rangers troops chased them which resulted in exchange of fire between both sides. He said that the militants had also hurled a hand-grenade on Rangers, resultantly, one Rangers personnel was wounded.

The spokesperson claimed that during the encounter, three militants were killed who have yet to be identified.

Meanwhile, some 21 suspects including members of the banned outfits were arrested during targeted raids by Rangers in various parts of the metropolis including Usmanabad, Bakra Piri, Natha Khan Goth, Kausar Town, Qayyumabad, Hindu Para, Kalri, Baghdadi, Chakiwara and Noor Muhammad Goth areas. The Rangers spokesperson claimed that 54 weapons were also recovered during the targeted raids. The suspects were moved to undisclosed location for further questioning while their identities were also not disclosed. Some two dozen suspects including outlawed Taliban members, Lyari gangsters and Pakhtun Student Federation’s president for District West have been killed so far in the first two months of 2013 in various parts of the city including District Malir, District West and District East.

Meanwhile, two people were gunned down in separate acts of violence in the metropolis.

According to details, a man namely 60-year-old Taj Muhammad son of Muhammad Ayub was shot dead in New Umar Colony within the precincts of Qaidabad police station. Police said that the deceased was a factory worker by profession. He was attacked when he was returning from workplace. Police could not ascertain motive behind the murder. 

Pak Colony Police found a bullet-riddled body of a youth from the bushes of Mewa Shah Graveyard. Police quoting initial investigation said that unidentified assailants kidnapped and shot the victims dead. The body was moved to morgue for identification after completing medico-legal formalities at Civil Hospital Karachi.