KARACHI - Rangers killed another innocent citizen in front of his four-year-old son when he did not stop his cab near Gulistan-e-Jauhar in Karachi.

The Rangers asked a cabbie to stop for checking but the driver, Murad, did not stop, triggering the law enforcers to open indiscriminate firing on the cab.

The driver died while his four-year-old son survived the attack.  Witnesses said that the incident occurred just before the iftar and the driver was killed because he wanted to reach home on time.

They said that Rangers were standing closed to the footpath and were not in their usual vehicle. It is difficult to say that the driver deliberately avoided them.” 

The deceased was a resident of Chishti Nagar Gulistan-e-Jauhar and was shot four times even though he had nothing to retaliate against the machinegun spraying bullets. The body was taken to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre and was handed over to the heirs after autopsy.

According to victim’s family, he along with his son left home for buying stuff for the iftar but the Rangers shot him.

Victim’s family members and locals staged a protest against the incident outside the Gulistan-e-Jauhar police station.

Police says that it has registered the case against the Rangers personnel and initiated investigation.

DG Rangers Major General Rizwan Akhtar took notice of the incident and detained the personnel involved in the incident, initiating inquiry against them. He suspended the company commander as well.

In a similar incident on June 4, a young man, Ghulam Haider, was shot dead by Rangers when he did not stop his car after being signalled by the Rangers in Shah Faisal Colony.

Another jailbird flies from court

Another under-trial prisoner managed to run from the Karachi City Court on Tuesday. Eight inmates fled from the captivity of police during the last week.

An alleged drug peddler, 17-year-old Sajjad, arrested by Shara-e-Noor Jahan police two days ago, was brought to the court by the police.

“He said that he wanted to go to wash-room,” said Abid, a policeman who brought the accused to the courts. “As we allowed him for washroom, he managed to get off the handcuff and escaped by jumping off the wall. By the time we could react, he was gone.” 

The City Courts police arrested Abid and another policeman, Talat, for negligence and registered a case against them while police high ups suspended City Court SHO Mohammad Iqbal.

Separately, docks police busted a gang of kidnappers, which detained eleven children who were being trained for begging.

The children aged between eight to 15 years and were abducted from various areas of Punjab and other parts of the country. SHO Asif Jakhrani said that the gang used to lift the children and trained them for begging. Police arrested a suspect, Amir, after being informed by the father of a missing child.

Police raided a house in Upper Gizri area and found 11 abductees.

The recovered children alleged that the kidnappers used to beat them. Police has started investigation and is trying to locate the groups behind force begging.