ISLAMABAD - The commission on the missing persons , headed by Justice (Retd) Javed Iqbal, disposing of over 1,400 cases in three years has compiled its report by fixing responsibility on some institutions and groups.

The commission is intending to submit its compiled report to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif by end of this month (July).

“The report of missing persons commission has been completed around some months before but Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was not available due to health issue,” said Justice (Retd) Javed Iqbal, head of the Missing persons/ Abbotabad commission, in an exclusive interview to The Nation.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has now returned Pakistan after successful open heart surgery and expected to come to Islamabad on Monday.

The commission on missing persons , got extension till September 15, 2015 for over a year before, had completed it work some month before but could not avail time from the PM to submit its report.

This body has disposed of 1,400 cases about missing persons , which were forwarded from different organisations, from all over the country in three years. The commission had also fixed responsibility on some institutions and groups in its report. “A large number of cases were cancelled as they were not falling in the category of missing persons in any mean,” said commission head, arguing that Mama Qadir, Chairman of Voice for Baloch Missing Persons (VBMP) Nasrullah Baloch and former Chief Minister Aslam Raesani had not shared documents despite repeated requests.

Mama Qadir (who also pitched tents in Islamabad to protest missing of Baloch people) had claimed 25,000 missing person cases and Aslam Raesani 650 but they did not share even a single name, identity and address of missing persons with the commission.

“I even repeatedly request them to share names, identity and address of these persons but so far they did not turn up with any response,” he said, adding that a missing person can be found when at least his name and locality is shared with the commission.

A large number of forwarded cases , he said, were not genuine as some were even not falling in particular category of ‘missing person’ were related to kidnapping, ransom, old enmities, rival groups clashes and other.

Meanwhile, sources said that the commission in its probe about Balochistan related cases had not considered those who left for Afghanistan at their own will. This commission has received missing person cases from the Supreme Court (SC), High Court, authentic NGOs and United Nations Working Group on Enforced Disappearance in different intervals. Sources in the commission further said that the body was comfortable with the ‘Pakistan Protect Act’, which has expired a day before yesterday. “This ‘Pakistan Protect Act’ if given extension may help reducing further missing person cases in the country,” they said. The fate of ‘Pakistan Protect Act’ is still hangs in the balance as the government may extend it in coming days for further one year.

The commission has also once requested to make it a permanent body to trace missing persons . With the continuation of ‘Pakistan Protect Act’, sources in commission believed there would no requirement for a permanent body to deal these cases.

They said that the commission has suffered difficulties while dealing with the cases of complicated nature throughout the country. The cooperation level, he said, Sindh was much unsatisfactory but the commission performed its duty.

About missing person cases of MQM, they shared that around 39 cases of such nature have been disposed of with much efforts. As, the MQM has number of time raised issue of their missing workers in and outside the parliament.