KARACHI (AFP) - Authorities have released an alleged Al-Qaeda-linked militant who had been held over a bombing at Benazir Bhutto's homecoming parade here which killed 139 people, police said Monday. Qari Saifullah Akhtar, who had been accused by the former premier of plotting against her in a book published after her assassination in December, was freed last week, Inspector-General of Prisons Yameen Khan told AFP. "We released him on Friday after the expiry of his detention period," he said. Saifullah's lawyer Hashmat Habib said he was freed because of a lack of evidence. "He is a free person. There is no case against him anywhere in Pakistan," Habib said. Saifullah has now returned to his home in Lahore, he said, adding that the authorities "facilitated" his return. Saifullah was arrested in February in connection with a deadly double suicide attack in the southern city of Karachi in October that struck a rally to mark Benazir's homecoming from eight years in exile. Saifullah was freed on bail by a court in Karachi after police said they had no evidence against him but he was rearrested in late March under the maintenance of public order law. He was the one-time head of Harkat Jihad-e-Islami and he spent most of his time before 2004 living in Afghanistan.