ISLAMABAD - The Islamabad High Court (IHC) Monday turned down the petition of Director General (DG) Federal Directorate of Education (FDE) Dr Shehnaz Riaz who had challenged her transfer orders from the post of DG FDE.

The IHC bench comprising Justice Noor-ul-Haq N Qureshi rejected her petition with observation that secretary CADD has competent authority and could transfer the petitioner.

Earlier, the same IHC bench had suspended the transfer orders of DG FDE on May 9 after Dr Shehnaz Riaz challenged her transfer orders from the post.

It was February 13 when Capital Administration & Development Division (CADD) transferred Dr Shehnaz Riaz and directed her to report the secretary CADD after she was found guilty of misusing her powers and irregularities of funds for evening shifts in schools came to surface. Her counsel contended before the court that CADD has not been the competent authority for issuance of her client’s transfer orders and authority lies with the prime minister of Pakistan. He further argued that transfer orders of Dr Shehnaz on the basis of inquiry were illegal.

The CADD informed the court that Shehnaz was transferred within ministry and powers lie with the secretary in this regard. Shehnaz was appointed as DG FDE in May 2012, the institution that looks after around 423 schools and colleges in the Islamabad capital territory.

CJP urged to take notice of cold storage deaths: Chief Justice Tassaduq Hussain Jillani was requested on Monday to take suo moto notice on the death of seven persons in Karachi airport’s cold storage facility on June 8, 2014.

Nadeem A Sheikh Advocate, president Justice Help Line, an NGO, moved an application requesting the chief justice to take suo moto notice in favour of seven persons who were burnt and died in an incident occurred on June 8, 2014 at Karachi airport’s cold storage facility. He informed the chief justice that the government and other semi-government organisations have failed so far to provide any legal, moral and financial assistance to the family members of the deceased, as they are running from pillar to post for seeking justice. He requested the chief justice to look into the matter favourably and for the betterment of the families of the deceased and take suo moto notice in this regard.

At least seven bodies were recovered reportedly on June 10, 2014 from Karachi airport’s cold storage after the rescue operation that lasted nearly for 28 hours. It was reported that the rescue workers finally broke down three walls of the cold storage to retrieve the victims.

Sindh Health Minister Dr Sagheer Ahmed had told media that the bodies were badly burnt and were beyond recognition and the process of identification would take three weeks time.