PESHAWAR - Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Sardar Mehtab Ahmad Khan has said that operation in North Waziristan has been launched to clear the area of militants and it would be targeted and focused to avoid civilian causalities.

Addressing a press briefing here Monday at Governor House, he said that operation would be targeted and focused with the main objective to eliminate militants both local and foreign from the area.

He said all necessary measures have been taken for the safety of civilians according to the directives of Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif.

He said this land belongs to Pakistanis and no one would be allowed to use this soil for fulfilling their nefarious designs.

He said that militants were using humans as shield however safety of the civilian population would be ensured in the operation. 

Mehtab said political administration has also been alerted to stop infiltration of militants to other areas adding local elders of tribal and frontier regions, besides elected representatives, would also be contacted in this regard. He said, “Our borders are being monitored by security forces effectively and it will be very difficult for someone to escape”.

KP Governor said a monitoring cell and control room has also been established under secretary law and order Fata to organise and coordinate efforts for better assistance of internally displaced people (IDPs). He informed that so far 43,000 IDPs have been registered and efforts would be made for safe transfer of more tribesmen during relaxation of curfew.

Governor said that all the stakeholders are on the same page and supporting law enforcers for the safety of motherland in this crucial juncture. He also praised sacrifices and services rendered by tribesmen for the sovereignty and survival of the country.