JHELUM (AFP/Reuters) - A five-year-old British boy kidnapped at gunpoint during a family holiday in Pakistan nearly two weeks ago has been released safe and sound and is waiting to be reunited with his mother. Sahil Saeed was taken from his grandmothers house in Jhelum in the early hours of March 4 while preparing to leave with his father to fly back to Britain. This is fantastic news. It brings to an end the traumatic ordeal faced by Sahil and his family, British High Commissioner (ambassador) Adam Thomson said in a statement read out by a spokesman for the diplomatic mission. I would like to praise the high level of cooperation between UK and Pakistani authorities and in particular I would like to thank the Jhelum police for their role in bringing about the safe return of Sahil, he added. British officials said the boy was safe and sound but gave no details on when, where or how he had been released, nor confirmed his precise whereabouts. Pakistani police said the kidnappers had dropped off the child in a field on Tuesday, allowing officers to recover him, but said no arrests had been made. Relatives said they were delighted that Sahil was safe, but family members in Pakistan vigorously denied claims that the kidnapping was an inside job. Sahils mother, Akila Naqqash, who had begged for his release, spoke to her son and is waiting for him to return to his home in Oldham, northern England. They are overjoyed, said a police liaison officer at the family home. Mother has spoken on the telephone and spoke to him for some time, a private conversation. He is safe and well. But the family do not want to say anything, they want to wait until he comes back, the officer added. Celebrating relatives in Jhelum handed out sweets to friends, neighbours and family members offering their congratulations. I am thankful to God that he has been recovered. We are so happy, his grandmother Tasneem Bashir told AFP. Relatives said Sahil was taken by robbers who stole jewellery and cash and demanded a 120,000-dollar ransom. Provincial Law Minister Rana Sanaullah told Reuters an international gang of kidnappers was responsible. We are trying to bust this gang with the help of other countries, he said, without elaborating. Interior Minister Rehman Malik reiterated Tuesday that the family could have been behind the abduction but police said there was no evidence that relatives had been involved and added that the child was recovered in a field. We have found no evidence of involvement of his father or any of his family members in it (the crime), Aslam Tareen, inspector general police Rawalpindi range, told reporters. The father has returned to the United Kingdom, he added. He (Sahil) was released to us. We were informed about the whereabouts and he was left there... in a field in Denga village, he said. He is quite well, he is playing, we have arranged some toys for him, said Tareen, adding that he did not know whether any ransom was paid.