PESHAWAR/BARA - Displaced families started returning to their homes in South Waziristan tribal region on Monday.
Administration officials say the current phase of repatriation will continue for 15 days and it will ensure repatriation of about 5,000 families to Sarwekai and Sararogha areas of the agency.
Each returning family will be provided 25,000 rupees each and various goods. They will also be provided food ration for six months in their native areas.
More than 71,000 Mehsud families were displaced as a result of military operation launched six years ago in South Waziristan. Officials said about 4,500 families returned to their homes later but rest of the displaced families had no option but to rent homes or stay with their relatives in Dera Ismail Khan and other districts.
Meanwhile, the Punjab government has sent gifts for those who have started returning homes. A spokesman of the Fata Secretariat says the gifts include toys for children and clothing for women.
Separately, Pakistan Army on Monday said that government’s writ had been established in Bara and announced a successful conclusion of the Operation Khyber-I.
Brigadier Zahid Khan, in-charge of the military operation in Bara region of Khyber Agency, in a media briefing at Bara training centre announced successful end to the operation.
He said the armed forces had established government’s writ in the region.
Brig Zahid said that over 100 militants were killed during the operation, while around 450 terrorists had been arrested for their involvement in anti-state activities.
The Operation in-charge said that no militant group will now be allowed to take roots in the area.
The Pakistan Army had launched Operation Khyber-I in October 2014, to clear Bara tehsil. The main aim of the operation was to clear the region