ISLAMABAD - Ruthless soccer display by Pakistani girls helped the hosts thrash sorry Bhutan 4-1 in the Group B last encounter of the 3rd South Asian Women's Football Championship here at Pakistan Sports Complex, Jinnah Stadium on Sunday.

It was a convincing and flawless display by the green shirts led by their skipper Hajra Khan, who was instrumental in all the 4 goals scored by Pakistan. The first half was a very dull affair as far as goals wee was concerned, as Pakistani attack line lacked killer instinct. For the first time in three matches, head coach Tariq Lutfi finally used commonsense and allowed attacking midfielder Malika Noor to play in her favorite up front role. The tactic paid great dividend right as Pakistani team launched barrage of attacks on Bhutan goal, but a superb goalkeeping and some poor finishing denied them from taking lead. Hajra at least came thrice close to scoring the opening goal in the first 45 minutes, but she was denied by the brilliance of Bhutanese goalkeeper Dechen Wanngmo.

The hosts came out with complete different game plan in the second half, as Hajra, Sehar Zaman and Shalyla Baloch played very well and the team took well-deserving lead in the 52nd minute through Sehar. The green shirts didn't wait for so long as the second goal was scored in the 66th minute. This time again it was the hard work of Hajra, who after dogging three defenders passed the ball to Shalyla, who just have to beat the goalie to score the goal. Pakistani crowd, who was supporting the hosts fully and was especially chanting slogans in favour of team, captain Hajra, Sehar, Shalyla and especially superb goalie Mahpara.

Just when things were looking quite bright for the hosts, Pakistan had to suffer a blow, as from nowwhere against the run of play, Bhutan was provided a life line by Tshering Yangdon, who scored a goal from a thunderous strike.

Pakistan girls then wasted very little time to restore two-goal cushion, as once again Hajra did well by passing the ball into the feat of Roshan Ali, who put it into the net in the 74th minute to give Pakistan 3-1 lead. The hosts didn't have to wait too long for the fourth goal, which came from courtesy spot kick in the 81st minute. It was Malika who hit a perfect plenty, which sailed into the net even before the goalie could have moved.

Speaking after the match, head coach Tariq Lutfi looked quite comfortable and termed victory team effort. When asked about change in plan, he said: “We have to win this match for the people of the country that's why I changed the game plan, which worked and we managed to win at least one match. I have completely overhauled the team, we need time, as our team is mainly based on youngsters, and they will learn through the passage of time and start to give desired results.”

Sharing her views, Malika Noor said: “It was a good result and moral boosting as well. It is up to coach where he likes me to play, but as an attacking midfielder player, I would love to play upfront.”

Meanwhile, helped by brace from skipper Anu Lama, Nepal hammered Sri Lanka 3-0 to top the group. It was a clinical performance by the Nepalese girls, who dominated the entire match and never allowed Sri Lankans to settled down in the match. Nepal open the scoring in the 15th minute through Niru Thapa, they doubled their lead in the 54th minute, when Anu stepped up to take spot kick, while Anu then scored her second and team’s third goal in the 85th minute. It was Anu's fifth goal of the event.

India will face Afghanistan in the last Group A match at 11am, while Maldives face Bangladesh, hoping to carve out victory to grab semifinal spot on offer. Bangladesh only needed a draw to finish second in the group and book semifinal berth against Nepal, while Maldives have to win to ensure second place in the group.