Islamabad: Pakistan will not have a “conditional” meeting with India during the United Nations General Assembly in New York and this time the meeting request should come from the Indian side, as it has been cancelling previous meetings, said Advisor to PM on Foreign Affairs, Sartaj Aziz , while talking to an Indian newspaper.


“India only wants to talk terror and we want a discussion on all issues including Kashmir,” said Sartaj Aziz as prime ministers Narendra Modi and Nawaz Sharif get ready to attend the key UN event this month. “Our position is very clear. India called off the NSA-level dialogue last month and the request for any meeting must come from India. It has to take the initiative now,” Aziz said.

Islamabad has not yet received any request from New Delhi for a meeting during the UN General Assembly days, Aziz said. “Nothing so far,” he said, “If there is a request, our stand is clear. We want a discussion on all outstanding issues, including Kashmir.”


Last month, India cancelled, the NSA-level talks scheduled to be held on August 24 between the national security advisers of the two countries. The talks were cancelled after Pakistan rejected India’s move to precondition the talks over a meeting between Hurriyat leaders and the top Pakistani diplomat. This was the second time India cancelled the dialogue process between the two countries since last year.
“Let me make it clear that we will continue to meet the Hurriyat. Even people in India are questioning the government on its rigid stand of us not meeting them,” Aziz said.

Before cancelling last month’s NSA-level talks between the two countries, India had detained several Hurriyat leaders in order to prevent them from meeting the premier’s top aide ahead of the talks. Modi and Sharif had a breakthrough meeting in the Russian city of Ufa when they decided on a way forward, but differing interpretations of the joint statement soon led to the NSA-level talks being cancelled.


India detained several Hurriyat leaders to prevent them from meeting Aziz ahead, signalling its determination to not allow them to be a party to the bilateral engagement between the two nations. Meanwhile, Pakistan lodged a strong protest with India over the latest LoC violations and asked the Indian government to respect ceasefire agreement. Deputy Indian High commissioner JP Singh was summoned by the Foreign Office to lodge protest against latest border violations, which resulted into the killing of one Pakistani soldier and injured a civilian.


The Indian diplomat was summoned by the Director General (South Asia and SAARC) who condemned both these incidents. “The Indian government was urged to stop forthwith the ceasefire violations and observe the 2003 Ceasefire Arrangement for restoration of peace and tranquility at the LoC and the Working Boundary,” said a statement of the ministry of Foreign Affairs. “Pakistan expressed its deep concern over the continuous unprovoked ceasefire violations by the Indian side at the LoC and targeting of the civilian areas,” it said.


Indian security forces continued violation of the ceasefire agreement at line of control as unprovoked Indian firing and shelling on Wednesday.
A Pakistan Army soldier was martyred in cross border firing on Tuesday, a few days after Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh assured a visiting Pakistani delegation that India would not fire a first bullet across the disputed Kashmir border.


The borders violations came after Pakistani border officers met with their Indian counterparts in New Delhi to discuss how to avoid skirmishes, which also cause civilian casualties on both sides. Pakistan urged India to independently hold inquiry in the latest violations and share its findings with Pakistan. The Foreign Office also asked India not to target civilian populations along the LOC.