LAHORE - The acceptance of nomination papers of Sardar Ayaz Sadiq of PML-N and Aleem Khan of PTI for by-election have been challenged before the Lahore High Court.
Advocate Malik Munsif Awan and Pakistan Awami Tehreek leader Advoate Ishtiaq Chaudhary had filed the petitions against the decision of the returning officer in which both the candidates were allowed to contest by-election.
A returning officer had rejected the objections raised by the complainants on the nomination papers of both candidates and allowed them to contest election. The appellants were also the candidate for by-polls.
The appellants submitted that an election tribunal disqualified Ayaz Sadiq and imposed a penalty on him besides ordering by-election in the NA-122. They stated the decision of the election tribunal which convicted Sardar Ayaz Sadiq had not been suspended by the Supreme Court and it was still in operation.
They alleged Aleem Khan that he grabbed a number of plots and many cases against him were pending in different courts. They prayed the court to set aside the decision of the acceptance of nomination papers of both candidates and stop them from contesting elections.
Plea dismissed: The Lahore High Court yesterday dismissed a petition challenging trial of the accused of Model Town incident of first FIR and their investigation, holding that the petition was not-maintainable.
A two-judge bench of the LHC headed by Justice Abdul Sami Khan held the proceedings on a petition filed by former SHO of Faisal Town police Amir Saleem. The petitioner told the bench that Joint Investigation Team had declared the nominated of the second FIR of Model Town incident as innocents including the chief minister.
He contended that if two FIRs are registered in a matter then the first FIR becomes in-fructuous and proceedings are held on the second FIR. He said he was nominated in the first FIR of the model incident but the trial of the first FIR’s accused was being carried out even after the second FIR which was unlawful.
Assistant Advocate General Punjab Sahil Sattar opposed his arguments and said that the police had submitted challan of the first FIR in the anti-terrorism court. If the accused considered himself as innocent he should have filed acquittal application in the trial court. He said that the petition of the accused petitioner be dismissed.
sssAfter hearing both sides, the bench reserved the verdict and later announced that the petition was not maintainable. The bench held that the challan of both FIRs had been submitted in the Anti-Terrorism Court and the trial would be carried out in both FIRs.
On June 17, about 14 people lost their lives and 100 others got injured when police contingents attacked Minhajul Quran Secretariat in Model Town over the matter of the removal of barriers set on the adjoining roads of the secretariat.