KABUL (AFP) - The Afghan government announced Tuesday it had given amnesty to nearly 60 Taliban fighters who had agreed to lay down their weapons, as some of them claimed they were misled into jihad or "holy war". The men who received amnesty from the government's Commission for Peace and Reconciliation were the latest of nearly 7,680 over the past three years to agree to not fight the government, a Commission official said. Most of the men in the latest group covered their faces with large Afghan shawls at a ceremony at which they handed certificates of amnesty in return for pledges to not fight. The head of the Commission, former Afghan president Sebghatullah Mujaddedi, urged them to stand by their commitment and not return to the militants, adding that the fighting was hurting mainly civilians. "It is the civilians who die every day here in suicide attacks or by government or foreign forces' bombing," he told the ceremony. Among the 7,680 who had accepted amnesty were 781 men who had been freed from detention at US military "war on terror" camps at Bagram in Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, said commission official Mohammad Akram Mirhazar. One of the men at Tuesday's ceremony said he had been a Taliban for four years after being told by religious leaders in Pakistan, where he had lived, that he should fight jihad in Afghanistan because of the presence of foreign troops. Qari Shair Wali also alleged that Pakistan's intelligence service was funding training centres in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan. Meanwhile, talks with Taliban must only take place through Afghan government channels, President Hamid Karzai's office warned Tuesday after reports surfaced of dialogue led by Danish soldiers. Presidential spokesman Homayun Hamidzada told reporters he was unaware of a report in the Jyllands-Posten daily, which cited a Danish officer saying that Taliban were represented at soldiers' talks with local chiefs. "We must intensify the dialogue and the negotiations with the Taliban if we want to have peace in Afghanistan, because we cannot eliminate the enemy," the Lieutenant Colonel was quoted as saying on Monday after a six-month mission. Asked about the report, Hamidzada said he had not seen it. "But the policy of the Afghanistan government is: any talks or dialogue should take place through government, not by the friendly countries who have a presence in Afghanistan," he said. The aide recalled the "bitter experiences" of December 2007 when the Afghan government expelled an Irish and a British diplomat for contacts with the Taliban in the southern province of Helmand, an insurgent stronghold. Karzai's spokesman said tensions with Washington over the US-led "war on terror" had eased with the visit of envoy Richard Holbrooke, who is reviewing US strategy in the fight against Taliban. The visit "was a big step... towards the improvement and strengthening of relations," Karzai's spokesman Homayun Hamidzada told reporters. "With the appointment of Holbrooke and his visit of the region, issues have largely resolved and we are moving forwards towards reviewing the struggle against terrorism," he said. Holbrooke started his trip in Pakistan, where Taliban are hunkered down in the northwest, and headed to India after three days of talks in Afghanistan. He will report back to Obama and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. An Afghan team is expected to head to Washington this month to take part in the review.