LAHORE – While denouncing the US drone attacks in North Waziristan, which resulted in the loss of precious lives, Punjab Chief Minister Mian Shahbaz Sharif on Friday warned no place in the country would remain safe, if immediate action was not taken to prevent the strikes.
The chief minister, in a statement, said drone attacks could be stopped at once if the rulers acted with honour and respect.
“The people killed in the drone attacks are the sons of the soil, just like the citizens of Lahore and Karachi, and their blood has the same value,” he added.
He added that the attack on the Salala Checkpost and Abbottabad raid by the American forces had left no room for self-deception, adding that unfortunately, it had been happening at a time when the power was in the hand of those, who did not have any regard for the life, honour, independence and sovereignty of the country and its people.
“Given the situation, the people of the country have no sentiment but hatred for the rulers,” he noted. The chief minister said a government that depended on the foreign aid could not protect the nation.
Shahbaz also criticised the self-styled leaders, who are politicising the 20th Amendment and threatening of a civil war over irregularities in the electoral rolls, saying they were maintaining criminal silence over the drone attacks.
“These people are oblivious to the missiles attacks in the northern areas and the blood-soaked bodies of their Pakistani brothers and sisters.”
Shahbaz further said the Pakistan Muslim League-N would continue its struggle against the drone attacks under all circumstances.