Rawalpindi - A two-and-half-year-old child was burnt to death while his mother and brother got injured when the roof of house caved in after gas explosion, police informed here on Tuesday.

Soon after the explosion, fire erupted in the double-storey building, police added.

The victims were shifted to District Headquarters Hospital and Holy Family Hospital where they were identified as Shayan son of Ameer Afzal (the deceased), Tanzeela and Shehryar, son of Ameer Afzal.

According to police, some family member lit gas heater during night and went to bed without switching off the heater.

During night gas load-shedding was observed and the house was filled with gas when the supply was restored, he said. He maintained that as the woman lit match stick, a huge explosion took place. The roof caved in and the baby child died. The mother and her other son got injured in the incident.