HANGU - At least seven people were killed and three others sustained injuries in two remote-controlled bomb blasts near a passenger van in Hangu district on Thursday, police said.

According to details, a passenger van was on its way to Hangu city from Zargari town. When it reached Dorarai Banda, one of the two bombs planted on the roadside, exploded with a bang.

Police said the passenger vehicle was a target of the terrorists. As the people were rushing to the blast site to assist the victims, another bomb went off.

As a result, a total of seven people were killed and three sustained injuries. Five of those killed were identified as Abdus Samad, Irshad, Zahid, Saad and Shafiullah while the names of the remaining two dead could not be ascertained.

The injured, Asadullah, Basir and another unidentified person, were rushed to the district headquarters hospital. The death toll might rise as two of the injured were in critical condition, the hospital sources said.

According to the bomb disposal squad, 10kg explosives were used in each bomb. Soon after the blasts, police cordoned off the area and launched a search operation with no arrest so far. No militant group has claimed responsibility for the explosions.

The incident occurred in the Zargari area of Hangu district in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, around 100 kilometres southwest of the region’s main city of Peshawar. The incident was confirmed by Hangu police chief Anwar Khan Kundi. Thousands of civilians have died since militants rose up against the Pakistani state more than a decade ago.

Meanwhile, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Pervez Khattak, while strongly condemning the roadside remote-controlled bomb explosions in village Dorarai Banda, Hangu Saddar, announced compensation for the dead and those injured in the gruesome incident.

According to the martyrs package, the families of each dead person will be paid Rs 500,000 while each injured would get financial assistance of Rs 200,000 each. The chief minister directed the Hangu district administration to make arrangements to pay the compensation as soon as possible. He said such kinds of terror incidents could not demoralise the brave people of the province.

He hoped the people of the province would soon get rid of the cancer of terrorism. He explained the nominal amount of compensation was no substitute to precious human lives and wounds of the innocent citizens. However, he said, it was an attempt on behalf of the government and the people of KP to share the grief of the affected families.