KARACHI - Two motorbike riders were gunned down by Tipu Sultan police under unknown circumstances here on Sunday.   

Twenty-two-year-old Muhammad Ali Memon and Danish Memon - 20, along with four of their friends were racing motorcycles while returning from sea view early Sunday morning when the incident occurred.

Bikers coming from Sea View moved to Tipu Sultan Chowrangi from the Shaheed-e-Millat Road when Danish and the Ali were shot and killed mysteriously.

Inspector Zaibunnisa, the SHO of the Bahadurabad police station shortly after the incident first claimed that the police killed the two criminals after an exchange of fire. After a while she claimed that they were killed in an act of target killing by unidentified persons.

Following the incident, police high ups have taken notice and suspended all five policemen and arrested them. “The motorcyclists were accidently shot dead by police,” said Gulshan division SP Abid Qaimkhani. He said that the police was tipped off of bandits ridding motorbikes to pass from that route which resulted in a fatal misunderstanding. He said that the police personnel involved in killing were arrested while police looking for complainant to registered the case. The police shifted their bodies to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for autopsies.

Four other bikers managed to escape during police firing. The families rushed to the hospital along with victims friends. Friends told the media that the police personnel standing in dark came up suddenly on the road and signaled them to stop. They told that it was difficult to stop the bikes on the spot but upon which the police started firing.

 Witnesses said that lady SHO also rushed to the spot when the incident occurred and that the police did not shift the victims to hospital on time which resulted to the death of both. They said that they were trying to convince the police that they were not criminals and urged them to shift the victims to hospital but police officer did not bother.  

Meanwhile, a young man was killed after a sharp kite string cut his neck near sea view within the limits of Darakshan police station on Sunday afternoon. A 28-year-old Muhammad Siddiq was on his motorcycle when a kite string cut his neck. He was taken to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre where he succumbed to his injuries during treatment. Police officials said that the deceased was the resident of Moosa Lane area of Lyari while his body was handed over to his family for burial after autopsy.