KARACHI - Police have registered a case against unidentified militants involved in the deadly attack on a bus at Safora Chowrangi that claimed 45 lives.

After around four days, police have registered a case at the Sachal police station. A case was registered on behalf of state as what the police officials said that the Aga Khan community has refused to register the case.

A group of armed militants entered the bus carrying around 60 passengers belonging to the Ismaili community who were going to their workplaces as per their routine on Wednesday morning. Gunmen barged in and shot them one by one.

At least six militants carrying 9mm pistols shot most of the victims in their heads. The victims including 16 women had died on spot while a teenage boy and a woman succumbed to their injuries during treatment.

Since the attack law enforcement agencies including police and Rangers boosted the operation in Karachi. LEAs claimed to have arrested some 500 suspects during alleged encounters, snap checking and operations in various localities.

Intelligence and security agencies have also been trying to resolve the incident of Safora Goth tragedy using high tech geo-fencing techniques and making the sketches of culprits with help of witnesses but not a single worthwhile suspect has yet been arrested.

Karachi Operation started in September 2013 while the police and rangers claimed to have arrested more than 2000 suspects while more than 500 have so far have been killed.

Karachi operation remains multidimensional as arrested persons include terrorists groups, political parties and Lyari gangsters. Operation witnessed a visible declined in criminal activities but at least 48 police personnel including two DSPs, a Jail Superintendent and an SHO were killed.  Police have yet to ascertain which group was behind the attack and its motive.

Besides sections of 302, 324, 427, 109 of the Pakistan Penal Code, clause 7 of the anti-terrorism act was also placed in the FIR. Police officials said that the case was registered against ten unidentified men. 

Eight terrorists carried out bus attack: eyewitnesses

Police investigation and interrogation of eyewitnesses has revealed that eight terrorists carried out the attack on Ismaili community bus last week which claimed 46 lives.

According to statements from two watchmen who are under police detention, two of the eight attackers wore helmets. It was previously believed that six terrorists had carried out the deadly attack on the minority community.

The watchmen further revealed that after the attack four terrorists fled towards Sohrab Goth area, while the others fled towards Madras Chowk.

The watchmen, Abdul Rehman and Abdul Sattar, were guarding nearby buildings in Safoora Chowrangi area where the gruesome attack took place on May 14.

According to police sources, the eyewitnesses have revealed in their statements that some accomplices of the attackers were also present in a vehicle parked nearby.

The number of attackers may be greater than eight, sources in the police investigation team said.

Three killed in violence

At least three people including brother of chief of Friends of Lyari International were killed in separate incidents of firing in various localities of the metropolis.

Police said that unidentified motorcyclists shot dead one person identified as Mujahid in Ghulam Qadir Shah Lane of Napier. The deceased was brother of Habib Jan Baloch, the chief of Friends of Lyari International, who is currently staying in London.

Two persons identified as Muhammad Ali, 25, and 22-year-old Danish were killed in firing of unknown miscreants near Tipu Sultan Signal in Ferozabad area of the city. The bodies of both incidents were shifted to hospitals for medico-legal formalities.