LAHORE - Majlis Wahdate Muslimeen has organised protest demonstrations in different cities of the country against the alleged abduction of Nasir Sheerazi, the deputy secretary general of the party.

According to a statement issued by MWM from here yesterday, protests were held in all provinces and Gilgit Baltastan where large number of people took out rallies after Friday prayer for the recovery of Sheerazi.

MWM leader Nasir Sheezai disappeared more than two weeks ago from his Lahore residence. The party claims Punjab Police “kidnapped” him on direction of Law minister Rana Sanaullah. The Lahore High Court on a writ petition had issued direction to police to produce Sheezai before the court on Friday but the department failed to do so on due date.

The protests in Lahore were held in Samanabad and Imamia Colony areas where dozens of party workers and supporters holding placards and banner raised demand for recovery of Sheerazi. They chanted slogans against Punjab government and warned to enhance their agitation campaign if their leader was not “released from the illegal adduction of Punjab police.”

LHC adjourns plea against JuD leaders’ detention

The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Friday adjourned hearing of a petition earlier filed against the detention of Jamaatud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed until decision on a similar matter by the Provincial Review Board.

The court of Justice Qazi Muhammad Amin Ahmad was informed by the deputy attorney general that a provincial review board consisting of judges of the high court was due to take up detention matter of Saeed on Nov 21. Proprietary demands hearing of the case may be adjourned till decision of the review board. The judge accepted the request and deferred the case till Nov 22.

A provincial review board consisting of three Lahore High Court judges on October 18 had approved one-month extension in the detention period of Hafiz Saeed, turning down a request by the government to extend the detention of Saeed’s aides. The board approved extension in the detention period of Saeed for one month, but refused to extend detention of his aides Qazi Kashif Niaz, Prof Zafar Iqbal, Abdul Rehman Abid and Abdullah Ubaid.

The Punjab government had detained the JuD leaders under Maintenance of Pubic Order as recommended by the federal government.


The Lahore High Court on Friday sought reply on November 28 from the provincial government and the police to a petition filed by Allama Tahir Mahmood Ashrafi, chairman of his own faction of the Pakistan Ulema Council, against withdrawal of his security.

As the court took up the petition, Advocate Azhar Siddique argued that police suspended security of Ashrafi in reaction to his criticism of the amendment to the election law by the government that resulted in changes to the declaration of Khatam-i-Nabuwwat.

He said the act of the government was mala fide, without jurisdiction and in violation of petitioner’s fundamental rights protected under the Constitution.

The counsel alleged that the petitioner had been facing serious life threats at the hands of Daesh and other terrorist organisations. He said the petitioner survived several terrorist attacks on him. He told the court that a representation filed before the chief secretary for restoration of the security squad had not been decided so far. He asked the court to order the respondents to restore security squad of the petitioner in view of serious threat from terrorist organisations.


Justice Muhammad Yawar Ali took oath as acting chief justice of the Lahore High Court on Friday.

Justice Muhammad Anwarul Haq administered the oath to Justice Yawar Ali at a ceremony at Judges Lounge of the high court.

Besides judges of the court, the advocate general of Punjab, federal and provincial law officers and office bearers of the Lahore High Court Bar Association attended the ceremony. Justice Ali would serve as acting chief justice till return of Chief Justice Syed Mansoor Ali Shah, who has left for London on a two-week visit to attend an international conference.