KABUL  - A huge blast from a Taliban suicide truck bomb attack on a joint NATO-Afghan army base in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday injured several international and Afghan troops, officials said.

NATO’s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed that some of its troops were wounded along with Afghan soldiers, but would not disclose how many.

Reports by Afghan officials of the number of Afghan soldiers wounded in the attack - claimed by Taliban insurgents - varied from 11 to 45, with the lower figure confirmed by the defence ministry. There were no reports of any deaths.

Meanwhile, Afghan police have arrested four people who allegedly tried to force a woman into prostitution in western Afghanistan and beheaded her when she refused, officials said Wednesday. Mah Gul, 20, was beheaded after her mother-in-law attempted to make her sleep with a man in her house in Herat province last week, provincial police chief Abdul Ghafar Sayedzada told AFP.

 “We have arrested her mother-in-law, father-in-law, her husband and the man who killed her,” he said. Gul was married to her husband four months ago and her mother-in-law had tried to force her into prostitution several times in the past, Sayedzada said.

The suspect, Najibullah, was paraded by police at a press conference where he said the mother-in-law lured him into killing Gul by telling him that she was a prostitute. “It was around 2:00 am when Gul’s husband left for his bakery. I came down and with the help of her mother-in-law killed her with a knife,” he said.