KARACHI - Four activists of MQM were gunned down in a target killing incident at Mohajir Chowk, Orangi Town on Tuesday.
The incident took place at a puncture shop at Ghazi Nagar, Mohajir Chowk.
The victims were identified as Pervez Alam, 38, Abdul Jabbar, 35, Nadeem, 35, and Riaz Ahmed, 28. Two of them, including Pervez and Jabbar died on the spot while rest of them succumbed to injuries at Abbasi Shaheed Hospital.
It is worth mentioning here that Orangi Town, a slum locality with more than one million population, is located in the middle of hills dominated by Pushtoons.
Scores of MQM and ANP workers have so far been gunned down in the recent months and most of them were killed by the members of banned religious outfits, including Lashkar-e-Jhangvi having strong routes in the vicinity.
Following the incident, scores of party workers, relatives and MQM MPA Nadeem Zafar reached the hospital and condemned the incident. They demanded the law enforcers to arrest the culprits behind the incident. Tension prevailed in the area following the incident and routine and commercial activities were also suspended in the area. Extra contingent of security forces were also reached the area to avert any further incident.
DSP Faisal Noor said, “We have found at least 19 empty shells of 9mm pistols and sent them to the forensic division of the police. The motive behind the killings has yet to be ascertained while the bodies of the victims were handed over to the family after autopsy.”
Separately, a youth was found dead from Maripur area. Police said the body was packed in the gunny bag. The victim was killed after kidnapping by unidentified persons over unexplained reasons. The body was later moved to morgue for identification after autopsy at Civil Hospital.
BOY RECOVERED, 6
ABDUCTORS HELD
Police recovered an eight-year-old boy and arrested six kidnappers from the jurisdiction of Defence area on Tuesday.
Umer Mehmood was kidnapped on Monday from Defence Housing Authority when he was on his way to home from school. Police after being informed registered a case on the complaint of victim’s father Najam Mehmood who used to work as a general manager at a private oil company.
The case was later transferred to the Anti-Violent Crime Unit and Citizens Police Liaisons Committee (CPLC) for further investigation. The kidnappers had demanded ransom from his father.
Police officials said the driver, Nasir, who hails from Peshawar, was the prime suspect in the kidnapping, who managed to kidnap the boy with the help of his companions, who also hails from different parts of the country, including Peshawar and Bhakkar.
Chief of the Criminal Investigation Agency, DIG Sultan Khawaja in a press conference held after recovering the boy told the media that kidnappers had demanded Rs20 million from the family and warned them of dire consequences. “Negotiations continued between the family and the kidnappers and the family was agreed to pay them Rs2.5 million while the kidnappers’ final demand was Rs10 million. During the negotiations, the CPLC, in collaboration with the AVCC police conducted raid in Neelum Colony from where they managed to nab one suspect and later another from the Neelum Colony’s adjoining area, Shah Rasool Colony. “After questioning, we were able to raid a vacant bungalow in Khayaban-e-Saher in Defence locality,” said CPLC deputy director Najeeb Dana Wala.
Police managed to recover the boy safely and apprehended four more suspects. The prime accused, Nasir, has yet to be arrested while further investigation was underway.