LONDON (AFP) - ECB chairman Giles Clarke faced mounting criticism Wednesday over the body's links with controversial tycoon Allen Stanford, with whom it ceased negotiations Tuesday amid allegations of massive fraud. Leicestershire chairman Neil Davidson told the BBC he thought England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chairman Clarke should accept responsibility for the body's close links with Stanford, who agreed a deal with the ECB last summer for five one-off annual matches - each with an overall prize fund of 20 million dollars. "We need to understand who knew what and who did what and that's an internal matter which we need to get to the bottom of," Davidson told BBC Radio amid growing calls that Clarke should consider his position - though the latter has refused to contemplate resigning. "My understanding is that Giles was very much at the forefront of this deal," Davidson said, adding the "wholesome image" of the England team was at stake and suggested that Stanford's involvement rendered the sport "tacky." The ECB said they and West Indies cricket chiefs had suspended talks with Stanford on Tuesday after the Texas businessman was accused of a fraud worth more than nine billion dollars by the US Securities and Exchange Commission. The SEC charged Stanford and three of his companies with "orchestrating a fraudulent, multi-billion dollar investment scheme centering on an eight billion CD (certificate of deposit) program." The SEC also made allegations regarding the use of "materially false data" relating to 1.2 billion dollars in mutual fund sales by one of Stanford's companies. Former Somerset chairman Clarke, slammed for appearing to 'fawn' over Stanford when the Texan landed at Lord's in June in his own private helicopter with a box full of millions of dollars, insisted Tuesday that Stanford's cash was over and above the ECB's budgeted expenditure. "This (the Stanford Super Series) was always a tournament which wasn't in our budgets. It doesn't impact on our budgetary structure and we know the game of cricket will continue," he stated. Antigua-based Stanford was the man behind the Stanford Super Series Twenty20 competition which culminated with his team of hand-picked Caribbean Superstars defeating England in a Twenty20 match at his own ground on the island which netted the winning side a million dollars each. His high-profile presence caused unease and he was forced to apologise after being pictured with the wife of England wicket-keeper Matt Prior sitting on his knee. In December, Britain's Daily Mail newspaper said Stanford, who had previously poured millions into Caribbean cricket, was withdrawing from cricket after losing 40 million dollars on the match and associated Super Series. He had been expected to fund the Super Series competition for a further four years and is also due to bankroll the England Premier League Twenty20 tournament from its inaugural season in 2009 as well as set up an annual four-team event at London's Lord's Cricket Ground.