The Afghan government on Wednesday announced that it suspended talks with the United States on the proposed security agreement, saying the United States had contradictory stance over the peace process in Afghanistan, local media reported.

"The ongoing fourth round of talks between Afghanistan and the United States on the security agreement is suspended. The decision was taken because of U.S. inconsistency in statements and actions in regard to the Afghan peace process," local TV channel TOLO reported, citing a statement released by the Afghan National Security Council.

The announcement came one day after Taliban opened a political office in Doha, the capital of Gulf state of Qatar.

According to the report, U.S. representatives are to launch talks with the Taliban there on Thursday.

The United States and Afghanistan signed a U.S.-Afghanistan Enduring Strategic Partnership Agreement in May 2012. The two countries began talks on proposed Bilateral Security Agreement ( BSA) late last year.

The controversial agreement of BSA, if signed, would guarantee the presence of U.S. military at least for several years in Afghanistan, a contentious issue that has been opposed by some circles at home and neighboring states.

"The fourth round of talks on security agreement between Afghanistan and the US which is currently underway in Kabul has been suspended since there is a contradiction between what the US government says and what it does regarding Afghan peace talks," the Council said in a statement without providing further detail.

The stall in the BSA process comes just a day after the Taliban announced in a press conference that it would be opening a political office in Doha. The talks were suspended because of differences between the US and Afghan government over the opening of the Taliban's political office in Doha, which was heralded by many - including US President Barack Obama - as a positive step toward reconciliation.

Talks regarding the opening of the office had been going on for some time, but were continuously stalled by seemingly insurmountable differences between the stances of the Taliban and the government in Kabul.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai, while talking at a press conference in Kabul on Tuesday, told reporters that the start of peace negotiations in Qatar is acceptable but emphasised the need to eventually relocate the talks to Afghanistan. "With the opening of the office, the peace negotiations between the High Peace Council and the Taliban must start soon. Once talks start in Qatar the process should be transferred to Afghanistan immediatey," the President said.

While the Taliban has repeatedly refused to talk with the Afghan government, and instead showed interest in negotiating with Washington, the opening of the political office in Doha and the expression of the intent to negotiate with Kabul may indicate a departure from this trend.

While the Afghan government has expressed discontent with the United States' approach to peace talks and frozen the BSA process for now, it has expressed a willingness to accomodate the Taliban's desire to begin negotiations in Qatar.