QUETTA  - Two people, including a driver of Nato container, were killed while the container was set on fire in Naseerabad and Jhal Magsi districts of Balochistan here on Monday.
According to sources, a Karachi-bound NATO container was on its way after offloading goods for Nato forces stationed in Afghanistan when armed men riding a motorbike opened indiscriminate firing on it in Mangoli area of Naseerabad district.
As a result, the driver of the truck identified as Abid Ali resident of Punjab sustained multiple bullet injuries and died before reaching the hospital. “The assailants set the container on fire before fleeing from the scene,” sources said.
Local administration rushed to the site after the incident and shifted the body to nearby hospital for medico-legal formalities and started investigation into the incident.
In another incident, a man was killed by armed men in Jhal Magsi district.
Levies officials said that Abdul Ghafoor was attacked at Baryja Levies station with sophisticated weapons that resulted in his death. “Old enmity is said to reason behind the murder,” sources said. A case has been registered and further investigations were underway in this regard.
The incidents came a day after the militants abducted six Customs and five levies officials from Gwadar and Kharan districts of the province.  The defunct Baloch Liberation Army and Baloch Liberation Front had claimed responsibility for the kidnapping of the officials.
DEMO AGAINST IRANIAN SHELLING
Scores of residents of Mashkel Town took out a rally on Monday and observed shutter-down strike, protesting against the Iranian border forces for attacking the area with mortars.
As many as four mortar shells fired by the Iranian security forces landed in different parts near Mashkel Town of Washuk district late on Sunday. Luckily, nobody was hurt in the attack that partially damaged a mosque and electricity wires. The angry residents came out of their homes and shopkeepers closed down shops to take part in the rally which marched through Mashkel Bazaar. Later, the participants staged a sit-in in front of the Assistant Commissioner Office and Frontier Corps (FC) camp. They were shouting slogans demanding the government for taking serious notice of the attack and to ensure security steps for the people living at border.
The officials concerned said that the Balochistan Home Department had been informed about the situation emerged after the violation by the Iranian security forces.
Talking to media, a resident, Abdul Wahab said it was not the first time that Mashkel town and its surrounding came under attacked, rather the Iranian forces had targeted them with mortar shells in the past as well. He said that a couple of years ago, three people including two women were killed and several others injured in Mashkel Town. He demanded the government to fulfil its responsibility of protecting the people and take up the issue with Iranian authorities.
THREE BODIES FOUND DUMPED
Three bodies were discovered in Josak area, on the outskirts of Turbat in Kech district on Monday.
According to an official in Kech, three bodies bearing multiple bullet injuries were found dumped in Josak area. Balochistan Levies personnel shifted the bodies to hospital for autopsy.
“The victims were blindfolded and their hands were tied with rope from behind,” a local Levies officer said. However, the identities of the victims could not be ascertained till filing of this report.
The bodies were kept at the morgue of the hospital. Balochistan Levies has started investigation into the incident. No group has claimed responsibility.