LONDON (AFP) - Manchester United maintained their perfect start to the Premier League season with a 3-1 win over title rivals Chelsea, while Manchester City surrendered their 100 percent record as Fulham fought back from two goals down to draw 2-2 on Sunday. Sir Alex Fergusons side blew Chelsea away thanks to three goals in the first half from Chris Smalling, Nani and Wayne Rooney. Fernando Torres reduced the deficit soon after half-time with only his second goal for Chelsea, but later missed an open goal and United could have won by a greater margin as Rooney wasted a second half penalty. Uniteds victory equalled a club record of 18 consecutive home wins and moved them two points clear of second placed Manchester City at the top of the table and five ahead of third placed Chelsea. It was Chelseas first loss under new boss Andre Villas-Boas, who tasted defeat in a league game for the first time since April 2010 when Benfica beat his Academica de Coimbra team. United, who have made their best start since 1985, took the lead in the eighth minute when Smalling was left unmarked from Ashley Youngs free-kick and the defender headed past Petr Cech despite Chelseas appeals for offside. Portugal winger Nani increased Uniteds advantage in the 37th minute, cutting in from the right wing before smashing a ferocious 20-yard strike into the top corner. There was an element of good fortune about Uniteds third goal as John Terrys attempted clearance cannoned off Nani into Rooneys path and the England forward slotted home from close-range. Torres gave Chelsea a glimmer of hope in the 46th minute when he flicked a fine finish over David de Gea. They had another boost when Rooney slipped while running up to take a penalty, awarded for Jose Bosingwas trip on Nani, and saw his effort fly wide in an echo of the Terry spot-kick miss that helped United win the Champions League in 2008. Torres should have pulled Chelsea to within one goal in the closing stages, but the 50 million striker produced an early candidate for miss of the season as he rounded De Gea and somehow scuffed wide with an empty net at his mercy. At Craven Cottage, Roberto Mancinis men, who had won their first four matches, were forced to settle for a point after a second half meltdown. Sergio Aguero has been in sublime form since joining City from Atletico Madrid for a club record 38 million in pre-season and the Argentina forward fired the visitors into the lead as he met David Silvas pass with a clinical finish in the 18th minute. Aguero seemed to have put City in total command when he steered home Edin Dzekos flick in the 46th minute for his eighth goal of the season. But Bobby Zamora got one back for Fulham in the 55th minute with a curling shot from the edge of the area and Danny Murphy completed the fight back when his long-range shot deflected in off Vincent Kompany in the 75th minute. At White Hart Lane, Tottenham routed nine-man Liverpool 4-0. Harry Redknapps side took the lead in the seventh minute. Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam was sent off for two bookings in the 28th minute and Martin Skrtel saw red after half-time for clattering into Gareth Bale. Jermain Defoe made it 2-0 soon after and Emmanuel Adebayor, on loan from Manchester City, struck twice in the closing stages to take his tally for the club to three in two games.