QUETTA - The Apex Court on Wednesday issued notices to authorities concerned failing to cooperate with the court on the issue of missing persons and ordered to hand over three officers of Frontier Corps (FC) to investigation institutions for their failure to cooperate with the court.

A three-member bench of Supreme Court comprising Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, Justice Jawwad S Khawaja and Justice Sheikh Azmat Saeed resumed the hearing of a Constitutional petition filed by President Balochistan High Court Bar Association on lawlessness in Balochistan.

The court also asked the authorities concerned for compilation of the lists of the missing persons after screening them out.

In his remarks Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry observed that improving law and order was not possible in Quetta and Karachi until the smuggling of weapons continued through Pak-Afghan Chaman border was stopped.

Chief Justice ordered that the cases of missing persons should be screened out and those cases against which no concrete evidences are found should be enlisted in suspicious list of cases, adding, that while those cases in which allegations go against police and FC should be handed over to Additional Attorney General.

CJ also ordered the Home Secretary Balochistan to register the cases of the missing persons and hand them over to CID Police and said that list of the missing persons should be handed over to FC and Ministry of Defence so that they could search and bring them back.

Justice Jawad S Khawaja also directed the families of the missing persons that they should also produce evidences before the court alongwith allegations.

SC ordered to hand over three officers of FC, namely including Major Saif, Major Abdul Waheed Multani and Major Moheen to investigation institution for their failure to cooperate with SC.

CJ unequivocally remarked that Secretary Defence, IG FC and IG Police were not cooperating with the court regarding the cases of missing persons and ,added, that the performance of the CID police is also unsatisfactory.

Meanwhile, Chairman FBR also appeared before the court and presented a report regarding the smuggling across the Pak-Afghan border at Chaman. CJ asked him regarding the unruly and smuggling of weapons and vehicles at border, questioning him if he had ever bothered to visit Chaman.

Chairman FBR said that Customs alone could not do anything upon which CJ expressed his displeasure and remarked, “Close your institution then.”

CJ told Chairman FBR that around 17,000 illegal vehicles were plying in the City and they have done nothing so far, adding, that the markets of Quetta are dumped with smuggled goods and Iranian smuggled petrol is freely being sold in Panjgour. He further said that weapons come from Afghanistan through Chaman border but no efforts are made to preempt their free movement across the border. He said that huge devastation can be averted by spending a little amount for buying and installing scanners.

CJ observed that if the country has to be saved from destruction, the institutions have to work with coordination.

Chief Justice also expressed his displeasure over the kidnapping of a senior cardiac specialist Dr. Munaf Tareen from Quetta the other day and stressed upon the authorities concerned to formulate a policy for preempting the acts of kidnapping for ransom. CJ observed that neither people were given protection nor their basic rights were safe.

Chief Secretary Balochistan Babar Yaqoob Fetah Muhammad apprised the court regarding the situation of Dera Bugti and said that the family of late Nawab Akbar Bugti is being rehabilitated in Dera Bugti, adding, that people were living peaceful lives there.

He said that the situation of Dera Bugti was closely watched by IG FC which CJ praised. The court was adjourned for 10 days.

Two gunned down in Quetta

Two people were gunned down on Wednesday in a sectarian targeted killing incident in the Double Road area of the provincial capital.

According to police, unknown armed men on a motorcycle opened indiscriminate fire on a car at a CNG station in the Double Road area of Quetta. As result, two people who were in the car died on the spot. The attackers managed to escape from the scene after committing the crime.

The police rushed to the site after the incident and cordoned off the area. The deceased were taken to Civil Hospital where they were identified as Bunir Ali s/o Muhammad Ali, a resident of Hazara Town, and Muhammad Hayat s/o Sher Khan of Bannu. The police sources said the incident appeared to be a sectarian target killing as the deceased belonged to the Shia sect.

Meanwhile, the banned organization, Jaish-ul-Islam, has claimed responsibility for the killings.