WASHINGTON - US Defence Secretary Robert Gates on Sunday admitted sending a memo about Iran to the White House, but denied that it was a wake-up call, as characterized by the New York Times, which disclosed the existence of the memo. Gates said the report had mischaracterized the memos purpose and content, and it was not intended as a 'wake-up call or received as such by the Presidents national security team. According to the New York Times report, the January memo contained highly classified analysis, and it warned the White House official that the administration does not have an effective long-term policy for dealing with Irans nuclear program. The source who revealed it to the media described it as a wake-up call, a notion disputed by the White House. Gates argued with the administrations pivot to put pressure on Iran earlier this year. He said the memo simply identified next steps in defence planning where further interagency discussion and policy decisions would be needed. He said the memo presented a number of questions and proposals intended to contribute to an orderly and timely decision making process.