ISLAMABAD - The Supreme Court on Wednesday directed a trial court in Peshawar to hold hearing on daily basis and decide the case of a missing person Khairul Rehman within two months.

A two-member bench comprising Justice Saqib Nisar and Justice Ejaz Afzal heard the enforced disappearance case of Khairul Rehman, who went missing from the jurisdiction of Pushta Khara Police Station, Peshawar. Additional Advocate General Khyber Pakhtunkhawa Yousaf Qureshi submitting the report informed that inquiry regarding enforced disappearance of Khairul Rehman has been completed and Inspector Arshad had been found involved in the case. He further told that the challan against the said inspector has been filed in the court, which had framed charges against the accused. The departmental action has also been initiated against the Inspector Arshad, he added.

Additional Attorney General Tariq Khokkar informed the court that Khairul Rehman was not in the custody of intelligence agencies or the internment centre.

Amna Masood Chairperson Defence of Human Rights told that the family members of missing person were the eyewitnesses of the incident. The father of Khair told the court that Inspector Arshad at gunpoint had taken his thumb impression that he had forgiven him. However, the KPK police refuted the allegation and said they had filed challan against the accused.

Justice Ejaz Afzal said even if it is true then the court did not recognise such kind of apology document. Justice Saqib directed the trial court to conduct the hearing on daily basis and decide the case within two months. The hearing was adjourned for two months.

Meanwhile, a three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Tassaduq Hussain Jillani was informed that Attiq-ur-Rehman had been recovered and reached his home in Ferozwala Sheikhupura. The court therefore disposed of his case.

In the last hearing the Ministry of Defence had sought two weeks time for the recovery of Attiq-ur-Rehman.

During the hearing today (Wednesday) the Ministry official told the court that DPO Sheikhupura was sent to Attiq’s house, who had confirmed that the missing person had reached home.

Attiq-ur-Rehman was allegedly picked up by forces along with his friend Abdul Wahid Tabassum from a petrol pump at Ferozwala, Sheikhupura. According to detail Tabassum returned home after a few months but Attiq was still missing.