KANO, Nigeria, (AFP/Reuters) - New clashes between Christians and Muslims in the Nigerian city of Jos left nearly 200 dead, a senior Muslim cleric and a paramedic said Tuesday. State authorities placed the city under a 24-hour curfew and terrified residents reported gunshots and smoke billowing from parts of the Plateau State capital in central Nigeria. All flights to the city were suspended, aviation sources said. The fighting broke out at the weekend over the building of a new mosque. Jos has been a hotbed of sectarian tensions in recent years with hundreds killed. Most bodies from the latest clashes were taken to the citys central mosque, according to its head Balarabe Dawud. We received 156 dead bodies this morning and another 36 this afternoon, Dawud said. He said at least 800 people had been wounded, 90 of whom had been taken to military hospitals with serious injuries. Nigerian Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan ordered troops to be sent into Jos to restore order there. At the moment the military have moved in, in concert with the police, to normalise the situation, said National Security Adviser Saraki Murtar. Fighting spread to Bukuru on the outskirts of Jos during the day, leaving another three dead and 39 injured, paramedic Maryam Mohammed said at a clinic there. Dawud said the Jos central mosque had run out of medical supplies to treat the injured. Even neighbourhood private clinics are full with the injured. Normally these are the places we would have gone to for supplies, but they are also in need of them, he said. On Sunday evening, we buried 19 corpses and 52 yesterday. As of right now, there are 78 at the mosque yet to be buried, said Muhammad Tanko Shittu, a worker organising the mass burials at the citys main mosque. A mosque employee, Mohammed Shittu, told AFP that the mosque is full with the injured and the dead. Announcing the extension of a weekend curfew, State Information Commissioner Gregory Yenlong told AFP: All residents are hereby directed to stay indoors as security agents work towards restoring peace. David Maiyaki, a Christian resident of the Dutse Uku area of Jos where the new fighting erupted, said the clashes had gone on despite the curfew. Fighting is continuing unabated, he said. Ibrahim Mudi, a resident of Sabon Fegi suburb, said: From here I can hear gunshots and see burning buildings from a neighbourhood in the northern part of the city. It seems that Jos north is completely on fire, added Mudi, who spoke by phone from his veranda. Sundays fighting had been confined to the predominantly Christian Nassarawa Gwon area but has since spread to other parts of the city, the Army said. It is not concentrated, it is not limited to one area, it is scattered, Army spokesman Col Galadima Shekari told AFP. Fighting first erupted when Christian youths protested the building of a mosque in a Christian-majority area of Nigerias 10th city. Houses and vehicles were set ablaze. Sundays clashes killed at least 26 people, according to Muslim leaders. The Red Cross said more than 100 people were seriously injured and that it was struggling to cope with around 3,000 displaced people.