ISTANBUL: Turkish authorities have formally charged 99 of the country’s roughly 360 military generals for their alleged role in last weekend’s failed military coup, two Turkish officials said today.

A further 14 generals remain in detention following the coup, the officials said.

Further, more than 15,000 Turkish state education employees have also been suspended after last week’s attempted coup, the education ministry said on Tuesday.

“15,200 state employees have been suspended and an investigation has been launched into them,” it said in a statement.

The ministry said the suspensions were linked to the “Fethullah Terrorist Organisation” (FETO), which is how it labels the loose network of followers of US-based clerik Fethullah Gulen, a foe of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Erdogan has laid the blame fully on Gulen and his followers, who have strongly denied any links to the putsch.