NEW YORK (AFP) - A planned US anti-missile system, hotly opposed by Russia, to defend Europe against the threat of missile attack from Iran would not work, a new study by a US-based think tank said Tuesday. The report said Iran, which denies accusations that it is trying to build a nuclear weapon, could produce a device as soon as a year from now, with a nuclear warhead for a ballistic missile within eight years. The study by the New York-based EastWest Institute found the proposed system will not provide dependable protection against an Iranian threat if and when it emerges. The study titled Irans Nuclear and Missile Potential was produced by a joint team of US and Russian military and academic experts. Its findings fall in line with arguments made by Moscow, which says the plan for a radar-and-interceptor system based in Poland and the Czech Republic would threaten Russian security, but fail to protect against an Iranian attack. The issue poisoned relations between Moscow and Washington under former US president George W Bush. President Barack Obama, who took office this January, has said he will pursue the planned missile shield as long as Iran remains a real threat, while adding that the system needs to be cost-effective and proven. According to the report, Iran could in theory easily launch sufficient rockets or decoys to overwhelm the planned system. The European-based components of the US missile defence could not engage that (Iranian) missile, the study said. The Obama administration should conduct a serious technical review of the capabilities claimed for the proposed European missile defence system. The report also backed Kremlin claims that the system - which the Pentagon says is far too small to pose any threat to Russias vast nuclear arsenal - could be turned against Russia. The number of interceptors could be increased very quickly, the report said. It would not be difficult from either a technical or an economic point of view to increase the number of interceptors. In Moscow, the United States and Russia on Tuesday held talks aimed at cutting stockpiles of nuclear weapons, a move that could herald a thaw in relations between the former Cold War foes. The talks, which began at a 19th century mansion in central Moscow, must deal with complex technical issues about nuclear weapons. Diplomats said the mood was positive. We are seeking a constructive dialogue and hope that the optimism that is being expressed by both sides will feed through into practical results, local news agencies quoted an unidentified Russian Foreign Ministry official as saying. On arrival, negotiators made no comments to reporters. The Russian Foreign Ministry also declined to comment. United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon wished the negotiators well from a conference on disarmament in Geneva. Let me extend my best wishes for the negotiations between the two countries taking place in Moscow, Ban said, according to a text of his speech supplied by the United Nations. The US team in Moscow is led by Assistant Secretary of State Rose Gottemoeller and will include officials from the Pentagon and Department of Energy. Gottemoeller, an expert on Russia who is respected in Moscow, held preliminary talks in Rome last month with Russias chief negotiator Anatoly Antonov, who heads the Foreign Ministrys department of security and disarmament.