LAHORE - The National Accountability Bureau has summoned former premier Nawaz Sharif for allegedly misusing his authority to order illegal construction of a road leading to his residence in Jati Umra, Raiwind.

NAB sources said Nawaz was summoned previously, but he failed to appear because he was not in the country. This time he has been summoned for Sunday so that he could not make any excuse. The bureau sent a notice to Nawaz Sharif, asking him to appear before its combined investigation team on Sunday (today).

The anti-graft body, on the directions of NAB Lahore director general, has constituted a combined investigation team to look into the matter.

According to the NAB, the disqualified prime minister illegally convened a meeting on March 15, 1998, regarding construction of a road from Adda Plot to Sundar Mull by utilising funds of a school and a hospital.

The corruption watchdog asked Nawaz Sharif to explain his position regarding his illegal direction to the authorities concerned to widen the road from 20 feet to 24 feet for his ‘personal benefits’, which resulted in cost escalation.

Nawaz couldn’t appear before the investigation team on the first summons as he was in London that time.

The notice addressed to Nawaz Sharif states: “Being the then prime minister, you misused your authority by initiating the project for your personal benefits in connivance with your brother Shehbaz Sharif who was the then chief minister of Punjab. Because of your illegal direction, Zila Council Lahore had to drop various other projects of public welfare at the cost of the said project in connivance with Shehbaz Sharif.”

NAB DG AUTHORISES TWO INQUIRIES: Lahore NAB Director General Shahzad Saleem Saturday chaired the regional board meeting (RBM) at the bureau office and authorised two inquiries.

A direct inquiry was authorised against the owners of Khayaban-i-Amin Housing Society following receipt of 287 complaints. The complainants alleged they were fleeced on the excuse of possession of homes, flats and plots. The Lahore NAB earlier received 223 complaints. Later, 64 new complainants also landed at the NAB Lahore. The second inquiry was authorised against Dr M Arshad, director (education), Punjab Workers Welfare Board (PWWB), officers/officials of PWWB, Aurangzeb Enterprises, Ahmed Traders, Amin & Sons, Javed Enterprises and others.

The information gathered disclosed allegations of misuse of authority in the procurement of substandard uniforms for PWWB schools in the year 2012-13. Complaint proceedings reveal that the subject persons did not allow all willing private companies to participate in the tender proceedings for summer/winter uniforms for the PWWB schools for 2013-14. Moreover, the rates approved in tenders were 130 percent higher than the tenders of 2012-13, which allegedly caused a loss of approximately Rs 100 million to the board. The tenders were also awarded to the blue eyed contractors. Keeping in view the above irregularities, an inquiry has been authorised to further verify the allegations. While addressing the meeting, the anti-graft body Lahore DG said NAB Chairman Justice Javed Iqbal had issued directions to take up on priority cases concerning all housing societies. He also advised the officers to investigate cases, brushing aside all pressures in this regard.