ISLAMABAD - Vice-Chairman Pakistan Bar Council and a member of inquiry committee Kazim Khan Tuesday requested the Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) to intervene into untoward incident between lawyers and police at Aiwan-e-Adal to resolve the matter. A three-member bench of Supreme Court comprising Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhary, Justice Ghulam Rabbani, and Justice Khalil-ur-Rehman Ramday was hearing a suo moto case of the untoward situation at Aiwan-e-Adal (District Courts), Lahore, took place on 1st and 2nd October, 2010. Kazim Khan submitted to the committee, in which he alleged In my opinion, all the incidents of 30th September to October 2, 2010 were the result of the directives issued by the Chief Minister of Punjab, Chief Secretary, Punjab, and Chief Justice of Lahore High Court in order to teach a lesson and arrest the lawyers, which were complied to by the police officials. He appealed to the CJP to intervene into the incident of clash between lawyers and police for a durable solution, adding the matter would not be resolved without the issuance of a judicial order. The chief justice said, We are part of bench and bar therefore we felt sad about the incident and constituted the committee to find the solution. The chief justice urged all the parties to sit down together for the solution of the case. Justice Ramday said the Supreme Court has taken suo moto notice of the incident and formed the committee, as they wanted to give an opportunity to the legal fraternity to find solution of the incident, which has not been done so far. Justice Ramday clarified that they were not on the side of anyone. Senator Kazim requested that action should be taken against those officials who were behind the lawyers torture. He said according to their findings, Three FIRs were lodged against the lawyers and their office-bearers by the registrar of LHC, Superintendent of Sessions Court and by police. In the last hearing, the CJP directed the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Punjab to register cases against the policemen who had mercilessly beaten two young lawyers inside Aiwan-e-Adal, Lahore, on October 1. The court observed that no action has been taken against the senior police officers. The court directed the IGP Punjab to appear before the court in the next hearing and present the FIRs registered against the police and lawyers. The court also directed Deputy Inspector General, Investigation, Rao Sardar Ali to appear before the apex court and record his statement. Advocate General Punjab Khawaja Haris apprised the court that Inspector General of Police (IGP) Tariq Saleem Dogar was busy in Sihala Police College therefore he could not appear before the court. Sajid Bashir, a member Lahore High Court Bar Association informed the court that they were cooperating with the Punjab government but so far no progress could be made. The Lahore incident took place in the background of differences between lawyer community and the judicial officer that started in the 1st week of July when the Lahore High Court Bar Association passed a resolution against District and Sessions Judge Zawar Hussain Sheikh for his non-cooperative attitude towards the bar and the lawyers. The resolution demanded transfer of Justice Zawar. Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhary, seeing the reports of Justice Zawars transfer in media, referred the matter to Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khawaja Sharif, who formed a committee to find a durable solution. The committee compiled its recommendations; despite that the district and sessions judge was not transferred. As a result, an untoward incident took place between lawyers and the police on October 1 and 2. Zawar has now been sent on four months leave. The case was adjourned till October 29, 2010.