Libya's fallen leader Muammar Gaddafi died of wounds in his capture on Thursday in Sirte, after nearly two months on the run, as fighters of the ruling National Transitional Council (NTC) claimed control of Gaddafi's hometown. Mahmoud Jibril, head of the NTC's executive committee, confirmed Thursday at a press conference held in Tripoli that Gaddafi was killed in gun battle in his hometown Sirte. He also told reporters that the transitional council would announce the liberation of entire Libya tonight or Friday. NTC Chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil confirmed Gaddafi's death during a telephone conversation with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkish semi-official Anatolia news agency reported Thursday. NTC field commander Momhemed Buras Ali Al-Maknee told Xinhua earlier that a group of fighters from the western Libyan city of Misrata captured Gaddafi in Sirte, who was then severely injured. The pan-Arab al-Jazeera TV broadcasted image it identified as the corpse of Gaddafi, with eyes half-open, shirt torn apart, and blood around his month and nose. Gaddafi's body has been airlifted to the western Libyan city of Misrata and placed in a mosque, the TV report said. Earlier al-Jazeera said NATO jets fired at a convoy of cars, probably with Gaddafi onboard, fleeing Sirte. The pan-Arab TV, meanwhile, quoted Abdel Hakim Belhaj, NTC's military chief in Tripoli as confirming that Gaddafi had been killed. There are conflicting information on the circumstances surrounding his death. The death has yet to be officially announced by the NTC, with NTC chief Mustafa Abdul-Jalil expecting to address the Libyan people soon. NTC vice chairman and spokesman Abdel Hafiz Ghoga also confirmed Gaddafi's death, and he said the liberation of Libya will be announced within hours. The NTC troops and the people of the war-torn country were celebrating following reports on Gaddafi's death, cheering and hoisting NTC flags, Xinhua reporters said. The 69 year-old leader, whose forces were driven out of capital Tripoli by the ruling NTC on Aug. 23, had been "leading resistance " against his foes from an undisclosed place in Libya for the past months. On June 27, the International Criminal Court (ICC) had issued arrest warrants for Gaddafi, his son Saif al-Islam and intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi on charges of crimes against humanity, and on Sept. 9, the international police agency INTERPOL issued Red Notice for the three as requested by ICC. Meanwhile, the commander, Momhemed Buras Ali Al-Maknee, confirmed to Xinhua that Gaddafi's son Mutassim was killed in Sirte, several hours after his father died of wounds. The commander had earlier said Mutassim was captured alive inside the town after NTC fighters overran Sirte's Number Two neighborhood where Gaddafi's loyalists had been cornered. The commander also said NTC fighters have encircled a place in Sirte where Gaddafi's second son Saif al-Islam was believed to be hiding. Besides, the al-Jazeera TV footage also showed a body which it said belonged to Gaddafi's defense minister Abu Bakr Younus. The leaders of the European Union (EU) said on Thursday Gaddafi 's death marks "the end of an era" of Libya. "The reported death of Muammar Gaddafi marks the end of an era of despotism and repression from which the Libyan people have suffered for too long," said a joint statement by President of European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso and President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy. "Today Libya can turn a page in its history and embrace a new democratic future," it said. "We call on the National Transitional Council to pursue a broad based reconciliation process which reaches out to all Libyans and enables a democratic, peaceful and transparent transition in the country," said the statement.