RAWALPINDI - Two real brothers involved in the business of illegal refilling of small cylinders for domestic use sustained burn injuries on Saturday when a huge fire erupted their shop at Pull Shah Nazar, near Jamia Masjid Road, in the limits of Police Station Banni.

The fire suddenly engulfed the three-storied building in which the shop of illegal refilling of cylinders was located. On calling, Rescue 1122 fire-fighters rushed to scene and overwhelmed the inferno. The deceased shop owners identified as Kamran and Nauman. Both brothers managed escape from the scene, police told. The reason for fire was told to be a short circuit.

According to details, a huge fire erupted in a shop where domestic use gas cylinders were being refilled by two brothers Kamran and Nauman. The fire immediately engulfed the whole building and as a result three other shops were also gutted. The clouds of thick smokes could be witnessed even from miles away. Rescue 1122 and police reached at the spot and sprinkled water on fire.

Sub Inspector (SI) Imtiaz of PS Banni, when contacted, said that fire engulfed a shop where illegal filing of cylinders were being carried out. He said that the instant reason for fire was to be a short circuit. He said that in the fire two real brothers Kamran and Nauman sustained burnt injuries. On a query, SI said both accused fled. Police has mentioned the incident in daily crime register and started investigation.

On the other hand, tens of hundreds of illegal shops refilling small cylinders from domestic cooking gas cylinders have mushroomed all over the city but the City District Government Rawalpindi (CDGR) is oblivious to the menace.

People also protested the criminal mum of CDGR and other authorities concerned and appealed to Chief Minister Punjab Mian Shahbaz Sharif to take notice of the worried situation. Shops involved in this line of work were “ticking time bombs” as their owners did not follow proper safety procedures and have set up their businesses in densely populated areas. If these cylinders exploded they could cause enormous injuries, according to an environmentalist and safety expert.

He said that if a 25-pound gas cylinder exploded, it would damage an area of 15 square meters and if a 50-pound cylinder explodes it would cover 50 square meters. He said that these shops also did not have fire extinguishers and water-cooling systems.

“While filling the cylinder, even a small leak can lead to disastrous consequences. This will especially be dangerous in areas with concentrations of shops and residences,” he opined.