ISLAMABAD - The Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government and the District Police Officer, Kohistan to submit detail report about the killing of five girls in a wedding party.

The case of ‘honour’ killing in Kohistan came to spotlight four years ago after a shaky footage, seemingly shot on a mobile phone, showing a group of young women clapping and singing as two men danced during a wedding ceremony in 2012, became public. According to Afzal Kohistani, on whose application the then Chief Justice had taken the suo motu, four women and the minor girls were killed on May 30, 2012 in accordance with the Jirga’s decree. However, their bodies were never recovered.

The incident had shaken the nation – not only for the senseless murders but also for the mystery surrounding the case and the cover-ups that ensued.

The Supreme Court on June 20, 2012 had disposed of the case after a delegation comprising Civil Judge Munira Abbasi, MNA Bushra Gohar, Dr Farzana Bari, and Dr Fauzia Saeed, women rights activist, and the administration of federal and the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, which had visited the village where incident allegedly took place and had submitted its report.

The case was reopened in August when Afzal filed a fresh application, urging the court he has new evidences and insisted that the girls are dead and three of his brothers were also killed. He pleaded in application that the Supreme Court of Pakistan should reopen the suo motu case.

During the hearing on Wednesday, Advocate General KP told a three-member bench, headed by Justice Ejaz Afzal that police had gone to the area of incident and further inquired from the local people about the death of girls. He informed that the police had recorded the statement of nine persons under Section 164 CrPc, adding that the police were still investigating the matter.

Justice Ejaz said: “Let the police probe the matter and submit detail report.”

Farzana Bari, who had visited the area in 2012, told the bench that she had very strong evidence that five girls have been murdered. Justice Ejaz asked her to submit it in black and white in the office within three days.

Upon that she stated: “I may not be available on the next date of hearing as she has been receiving threats.” She further said: “If something happens to me or if I am not alive then the case should be registered against male family members of the murdered girls.”

She said in June 2012 when the case was disposed of the then chief justice had stated; “If later on she has overwhelming evidence about the happening of the incident then she should send the information to the judges in chambers for perusal”.

Justice Ejaz directed her to submit the statement along with evidence in the SC office and adjourned the hearing for two weeks.