LAHORE - The slain family –two children and their parents –  were buried in their native town yesterday.

According to police, all the four family members were taken to their Pattoki village for burial. Hundreds of people attended the funeral prayers amid tears and screaming. The city police handed over the bodies to the family after the autopsy.

Abdul Malik, 28, his wife Asiya Bibi, 25, son Muhammad Asif, 5, and three-year-old daughter Maryam were found murdered at their small house in Satu Katla police precincts on Tuesday morning.  Police say they were investigating the killings keeping in view different aspects of the happening including suicide and honour killing.

An investigator said both the children and their mother were found strangled while the man was killed with a sharp-edged weapon. There was a severe cut on the wrist of the man which suggests that he committed suicide after killing his wife and children.

Investigators say it is too early to jump to the conclusion. The police were waiting for the autopsy and forensic reports to ascertain motives behind the brutal killings.  “May be, someone stabbed the victim to mislead the police,” they said.

A young relative of the victims, who lives in the ground portion, made hue and cry as she witnessed the bodies when she visited her maternal uncle’s house in the morning. Malik was a security guard at a plaza in Johar Town, police said.

All the four victims were tied with a rope  when police reached the site . There is a possibility that the victims were served intoxicated food before killings and police believe that  more than two persons were involved in the killings.

Capital City Police Officer Muhammad Amin Wains, SSP (Investigations) Hassan Mushtaq Sukhera, and SP CIA also visited the house.

The city police chief told reporters that a special police team was tasked to investigate the brutal killings. “We are working on this tragic case and investigation is underway, keeping in view different aspects of the happening,” Amin Wains said. “Anything at this stage could be premature.”

The officer further said that the investigations would be completed within a short span of time and the culprits must be brought to justice.

The horrific killings triggered fear and panic among the locals as dozens of people gathered outside the victim’s house yesterday morning. Some women were seen in tears as rescuers removed the bodies to the morgue on ambulances.

“We don’t know what has happened here. It’s terrible. They were very nice people. I don’t know why they were killed so mercilessly,” said Sohail Ahmed, a resident of the area.