LAHORE - A housewife was found hanging from the ceiling fan under mysterious circumstances at her house in the Shahdara area, police said on Thursday.

Police investigators believe the woman, identified as Zakia Bibi, committed suicide. Muhammad Mohsin told the police that his wife committed suicide by hanging herself with the ceiling fan over some domestic dispute.  However, the parents of the deceased claimed that her husband hanged her to death and staged the suicide. Police have detained her husband while the body was removed to the morgue for autopsy. Local residents say that the couple was not enjoying cordial relations as they used to quarrel frequently. Resident of Furrukh Abad, Mohsin had contracted marriage with Zakia, a resident of Gujranwala some five years ago. Further investigation is underway.

2 found tortured to death

Two men were found tortured to death in different incidents of the provincial metropolis, police said on Thursday.

A farmhouse employee was found tortured to death from the limits of Quaid-e-Azam Industrial Estate police on early Thursday. Police identified the deceased as Muhammad Nawaz, who was working as a tube-well operator at the farm of a sensitive agency.

Police investigators say that unidentified killers bricked the man to death and escaped. The body was removed to the morgue for autopsy. The police have registered a murder case and are investigating with no arrest made yet.

In another incident, a 40-year-old security guard was found tortured to death from the premises of a local factory located in the Sundar police area.

Police said that the deceased, identified as Shakir Ali, a resident of Okara district, was security guard at an under-construction factory. Police investigators said that the guard was lying dead with severe torture marks when they reached the spot. Police said that unidentified killers tied the deceased by a rope before torturing him to death. The police have removed the body to the morgue for autopsy and are investigating.

Youth dies

A 20-year-old youth who set himself ablaze the other day expired at a hospital on Thursday, police said.

Resident of Mughalpura, Muhammad Faisal, attempted suicide a couple of days ago.  He was admitted to a hospital with serious burns, where he succumbed to injuries on Thursday.  The family told police investigators that they had no information why the youth attempted suicide. The police have removed the body to the morgue for autopsy and are investigating.