NEW YORK - Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump says the recent string of suspected terror attacks across the US shows that his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton can’t keep American people safe.

On Saturday, nearly 40 people were injured as a result of two blasts in New York and New Jersey as well as a stabbing spree at a mall in Minnesota. Trump took to his Twitter account on Monday and blamed the former secretary of state and President Barack Obama for the security challenges the America faces today.

“Saturday’s attacks show that failed Obama/Hillary Clinton polices won’t keep us safe! I will Make America Safe Again!” Trump said in one tweet. “Under the leadership of Obama & Clinton, Americans have experienced more attacks at home than victories abroad. Time to change the playbook!” the New York businessman wrote in another post.

Hillary accuses Trump

of helping IS recruit

Reuters adds: Democratic US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton on Monday accused Republican rival Donald Trump of helping Islamic State militants recruit more fighters as weekend bomb blasts in New York and New Jersey took center stage on the campaign trail.

Both Clinton and Trump tried to use the attacks to flex their national security credentials, with world leaders gathering in security-heightened New York for the annual United Nations General Assembly. Speaking to reporters in White Plains, New York, Clinton urged Americans to remain calm but vigilant.

In a statement, Trump’s campaign accused the White House of playing down the threat posed by Islamic State.

The campaigns weighed in after the weekend of bomb incidents and multiple stabbings in central Minnesota as the Nov. 8 election loomed closer.

In the most serious incident, a bomb went off in New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood on Saturday, injuring 29 people; another explosive device was found nearby. Earlier that day, a pipe bomb went off in Seaside Park, New Jersey, further south of the city.