HCB findings sought in plea against construction at Fort
LAHORE – The Lahore High Court on Tuesday directed Walled City Authority to come up with findings of Heritage Conversation Board that were made before approving Conservation and Adaptive Re-use of Royal Kitchen Project at Lahore Fort.
Chief Justice Syed Mansoor Ali Shah passed the order on petition challenging an alleged illegal construction of a restaurant at the fort.
During the proceedings, Khurram Chughtai represented Walled City Authority and opposed the petition saying: “All activities with respect to Lahore Fort Conservation Project including Conservation and Adaptive Re-use of Royal Kitchen project are being carried on in accordance with the applicable law – WCL Act 2012-, UNESCO-Operational guidelines and International Charter for the Conservation and Restoration of Monuments and Sites (the Venice Charter 1964). The chief justice observed that the court wanted to know the law relied upon by the government for carrying out such activity at the Lahore Fort. The authority’s counsel sought time to satisfy the court on this point. However, he said all the work in question was in fact conservation and adaptation process, which was allowed under the law. He said heritage conservation board had approved the construction.
Petitioner’s counsel Amir Saeed Rawn pointed out that the authority had been misleading the court on the matter. He said new construction had been carried out in violation of the laws. He also presented photographs of the construction work. The CJ adjourned further hearing until Dec 11 and directed the WCLA’s counsel to submit the deliberations and approval of the board.