Govt directed to disconnect illegal industrial gas connections
ISLAMABAD – A parliamentary sub-committee Friday directed the government to disconnect all the illegal industrial gas connections in KP gas producing areas and shut down such industries immediately.
The injustice need to be stopped immediately as the local people are drinking water from stagnant ponds while industrialists are making billions, said convener of the Senate Sub Committee on Energy, Nisar Muhmmad Khan while presiding over the meeting of the committee. He demanded special gas tariff for the gas producing areas. If the provinces get the royalty according to their gas production it will remove the sense of deprivation of the federating units, he maintained. The committee discussed the issue of gas supply to the people living in five kilometer radius of gas producing areas and gas theft in southern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Senator Baz Muhammad Khan alleged that businessmen, who migrated from other provinces, have established industries in Karak and they are running with illegal gas connections. He demanded stern action against those industries. Senator Nisar said that it is the responsibility of local administration to separate local people from the outsiders.
Nisar Muhammad Khan asked to provide the complete details of the steps being taken for the removal of illegal gas connections to the industries. He said that illegal gas connections from the main pipeline were illegal but this is happening because the government has failed to fulfill its responsibilities.
On one hand billions of rupees from SDGs funds are being used for the provision of gas to selected constituencies for obliging special people, while on the other hand the gas producing areas are deprived from the gas. The committee directed the Petroleum Division to ensure supply of gas to the people living in five kilometer radius of gas producing areas.
Senator Nisar Muhammad Khan said that in the constituency of Senator Baz Muhammad Khan the cost of gas supply to nine villages of five union councils was rationalized but even then the issue is still hanging. In 2012, the then prime minister Raja Pervez Ashraf had approved gas schemes for the five union councils of Bannu but the schemes were not executed even after the passage of five years.
General Manager SNGPL, Arbab Saqib said that 150 FIRs have been lodged against the illegal gas connections but these connections were again restored illegally. He said that the petroleum minister has approved Gas Development Surcharge (GDS) and so far Rs 2.8 billion were received but it has not yet been released to the SNGPL. He said that the total cost of the project for the gas supply to the five KM radius is Rs509 million out of which Rs480 million will be provided by the provincial government while the remaining will be spend by the SNGPL.
The committee was informed that in Shakardara the gas theft is 100 percent gas, Makori 99 percent, Gurguri 98 percent, Karak 82 percent and Hangu 49 percent. The gas official informed under one window scheme meter was supplied to DC Karak office but no one came to get the connections.