Lack of safety measures, six workers electrocuted in 24 hours
Six labourers were electrocuted during work at an under-construction site near Sundar bus stop early Monday.
Rescue workers said three of them died on the spot while the other victims were shifted to Jinnah hospital in critical condition.
The tragedy took place near Maraka bus stop on the Multan road.
The labourers were trying to fix shuttering on the roof of an under construction plaza when iron rods touched the high voltage wires. As a result, they received severe electric shocks and three of the six victims expired instantly.
The deaths of three poor workers in Sundar comes just hours after three workers died in a similar incident in Lahore’s DHA phase VIII. These back to back deadly incidents raise questions over safety measures for poor workers.
The deceased were identified by police as Qaiser Abbas, 22, Shakeel, 25, and Mahboob, 35. The were said to be residents of Bhakkar and Jhang districts.
The injured workers Tariq, Shan, and Muhammad Razzaq were shifted to the Jinnah hospital where their condition was said to serious till Monday night.
The police later handed over the bodies to the families. The deceased were taken to their native towns for burial on Monday evening.
The provincial government or the district administration has not announced any compensation for the victim families yet.
A rescue worker said the bodies were badly burnt because of severe electric shocks involving high voltage wires.
The bodies were removed from the site after the Lesco suspended electric supply to the locality.
On Sunday night, three workers died of electrocution when they were fixing a signboard near Old Air Avenue in DHA, phase-VIII.
Residents of Pakpattan district, Fakhar, Sattar Khan, and Wali died on the spot and high voltage wires fell on them during work outside a house.
Authority did not launch any inquiry into both the incidents in which at least six workers were electrocuted within 24 hours.