Body formed to probe into SI’s self-immolation

KARACHI   –  Sindh police Thursday formed a body to ascertain reasons behind the self-immolation of late Sub-Inspector Muzaffar Ali and also assured his family of financial assistance and cooperation under the rules and regulations. According to police, Muzaffar Ali, Sub-Inspector, Telecom Sindh Police, Mirpurkhas attempted to set himself ablaze on II Chundrigar Road in Karachi on April 26. The police personnel rescued him and shifted him to Burns Ward of Civil Hospital Karachi. 41 percent of his body was burnt in fire. Later, the sub-inspector was shifted to Patel Hospital for further treatment where he died.

According to a Sindh police spokesperson, two inquiries were underway against Sub-Inspector Muzaffar Ali, who died while undergoing treatment at the hospital on Tuesday, April 27, in connection with harassment of a lady police officer and a fatal accident involving a government vehicle. ASP Hyderabad and DSP Telecom Mirpurkhas were conducting an inquiry into the case of harassment of a lady police officer while a government vehicle was being used by his son who was driving illegally in Karachi, killing a passerby in a fatal accident. 

DSP Telecom in an inquiry held the late sub-inspector responsible for the harassment of the female police personnel and in the light of the report, on April 23, he was suspended from his job and further inquiries were ordered.  Due to suspension and other inquiries, Sub-Inspector Muzaffar Ali came under severe mental pressure and took extreme step of committing self-immolation. 

In view of all these matters, a high level investigation committee, headed by Additional IG Establishment and Training Sindh, has been constituted to investigate all aspects and angles of the incident and bring to light all the motives and aspects of this tragic incident.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More